Topics

Red Ball 65 foot mill gon kit - is there a prototype?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I recently purchased a Red Ball kit. It is N scale - I did not even know that Red Ball made N scale stuff! It is a 65 foot mill gon kit, and the box end label incicates they made this in both HO and N scale.

An image of the kit can be seen at the link below...

Is there a prototype for this kit? I checked the list archives, and there was some minor discussion of this on this list back in 2005 (!), but nothing conclusive.

Thanks in advance.

Claus Schlund

Donald B. Valentine

    I don't have one here to compare it with, Claus, but this kit looks to be quite similar to the former E&B Valley
kit that ultimately became part of the Eastern Car Works line. The tooling for E & B VCalley was largely done by
the Mercorelli (sp?) Bros. Patal Engraving Co. of New Jersey. My lare father, who spent the rest of his life in the
machine tool business after selling the family farm, thought much of it was rather crude. Can't comment much on
the Red Ball line but the little I've seen of it left the same impression, which is why I haven't seen much of it.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Tim O'Connor

Claus, there MAY be a prototype, but this car has 18 ribs and I have dozens of photos
of 17-rib and 19-rib 65 foot mill gondolas with fishbelly sides - but none with 18 ribs.

It's worth searching for a photo of one! I'd toss those ends though, and obviously the
floor/underframe need to be replaced.

Tim O'

On 12/26/2019 6:39 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
Hi List Members,

I recently purchased a Red Ball kit. It is N scale - I did not even know that Red Ball made N scale stuff! It is a 65 foot mill gon kit, and the box end label incicates they made this in both HO and N scale.

An image of the kit can be seen at the link below...

Is there a prototype for this kit? I checked the list archives, and there was some minor discussion of this on this list back in 2005 (!), but nothing conclusive.

Thanks in advance.

Claus Schlund

Sterling, Massachusetts