Red Caboose GATX "Flying A" Tank Car

Wayne Cohen

My apologies if this topic has been covered before.  I've used the group search function and have searched the internet at large and I am unable to find the answer.

Is the silver GATX "Flying A" paint job  applied to the Red Caboose 103W tank car based on reality, is it a totlal foobie, or somewhere in between? I think the answer would fall into one of these three categories:

1. Complete fantacy paint scheme
2. Paint scheme existed, but not for this type of car
3. Paint scheme accurate for this car

Thank you for any assistance.

Wayne

nyc3001 .

2. The Red Caboose tank car is only accurate for some DODX AC&F-built welded tanks. GATX had its own welded tank car designs; several of them are accurately represented by the Tangent tanks.

-Phil

Wayne Cohen

Thank you, Phil.

Alexander Schneider Jr

What would be a typical lading for a DODX tank car? (I assume the car is owned by the Department of Defense).

Tony Thompson

Category 1.
Tony Thompson

On Nov 27, 2021, at 11:01 AM, Wayne Cohen <waynecohen49@...> wrote:

My apologies if this topic has been covered before.  I've used the group search function and have searched the internet at large and I am unable to find the answer.

Is the silver GATX "Flying A" paint job  applied to the Red Caboose 103W tank car based on reality, is it a totlal foobie, or somewhere in between? I think the answer would fall into one of these three categories:

1. Complete fantacy paint scheme
2. Paint scheme existed, but not for this type of car
3. Paint scheme accurate for this car

Thank you for any assistance.

Wayne
<dummyfile.0.part>

Wayne Cohen

Thank you, Tony.

John Mateyko

There is a bulk unloading facility in Cincinnati.  DOD tank cars carried JP-4 between that facility and Wright-Patterson AFB northeast of Dayton.  John Mateyko

Edward

Unsaid here, "Flying A" was a trademark for Tydol, the Tidewater Oil Company for its gasoline.
"Veedol" was the  trademark name for its motor oil.
As a teen I worked at a Tydol station on Staten Island.
The Tidewater Oil Co's. NY area refinery was near Bayonne N J at the ttime.
In the past, I think Tidewater Oil also had its own reporting mark and tank cars.
Much changed with Tidwater Oil after Getty bought the company and renamed it "Getty Oil."
The "Flying A" logo may have still been in use after that.

Ed Bommer

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Ed Bommer wrote:

Unsaid here, "Flying A" was a trademark for Tydol, the Tidewater Oil Company for its gasoline.
"Veedol" was the  trademark name for its motor oil.
As a teen I worked at a Tydol station on Staten Island.
The Tidewater Oil Co's. NY area refinery was near Bayonne N J at the ttime.
In the past, I think Tidewater Oil also had its own reporting mark and tank cars.
Much changed with Tidwater Oil after Getty bought the company and renamed it "Getty Oil."
The "Flying A" logo may have still been in use after that.

Part of this is incorrect, and some garbled. Please consult a researched blog post (of mine):

Tony Thompson