Red Caboose HO '37 AAR kits and why I ain't selling any of them

Andy Carlson

About three years ago, after a great deal of interest from this group, I placed an order for 700 Red Caboose '37 AAR kits in about a 2/3 volume for W-corner, the rest were sq corner. I awaited, and after only a vague response I later called and was told that I would be informed of their decision. I had offered to pre-pay the total before shipping to remove any fear that the order would be stiffed. I never heard back........

I have kits now on back order for over 5 years. I suspect I will never get them.

This kind of explains to me IM's interest in keeping undec kits alive.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, January 28, 2022, 11:16:32 AM PST, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:
I would love to know if Intermountain would produce kits if we could get and order for 300-500 prepaid from modelers.  Not sure if there are that many of us bashers out here who would prepay for 10 or 20 of these kits to make the proposition profitable for IM.  They are a business and must be profitable to stay that way.

With Covid not many flea markets to shop either.
Just say'in
Fenton

Brian Carlson

I tried to order 100 kits once too. They were not interested. I’ve given up on waiting and gone to alternate sources.

Brian J. Carlson

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Allan Smith

Andy I will take two of the wide roofs. Please contact me about payment

Al Smith
Sonora CA

Smithal9@...

On Friday, January 28, 2022, 02:22:15 PM PST, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

[...]

Todd Horton

I bought about 24 undecs from Bill McClung before he closed up shop. I hated to see Red Caboose sold but Bill was retiring.

Todd Horton

On Friday, January 28, 2022, 05:15:20 PM EST, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

[...]

O Fenton Wells

Any with dreadnaught ends?  If so I’ll buy a few
Fenton

On Jan 28, 2022, at 5:43 PM, Todd Horton via groups.io <toddchorton@...> wrote:

[...]

Allan-

I have not yet placed the wide roof into the mold box. I should have some parts cast in a few days. I will let you know when to make pyment.
Thanks,
-Andy

On Friday, January 28, 2022, 02:34:23 PM PST, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Stokes

Sounds like a great candidate for 3D printing drawings...

--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48

O Fenton Wells

Andy, when you are ready.  The check went in the mail yesterday.  No hurry.
Fenton

On Friday, January 28, 2022, 02:22:15 PM PST, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Ken Adams

Would these work out:
https://elgincarshops.blogspot.com/2022/01/the-first-new-items-for-2022.html
10 panel sides.  6' Door. The roof is separate. End panel separate.

IM just does not seem to want to support the kit building aspect of the hobby. Not enough margin in kits? Toy train mindset?

I am seriously concerned about the supply of boxcar and other types of car undecorated kits.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron may come and go but I still live in splendid Shelter In Place solitude

O Fenton Wells

Yes, the x 29 or 1923 ARA would be a good next step.  Let's hope Pierre's idea catches on.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 2:47 PM Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:
Would these work out:
https://elgincarshops.blogspot.com/2022/01/the-first-new-items-for-2022.html
10 panel sides.  6' Door. The roof is separate. End panel separate.

IM just does not seem to want to support the kit building aspect of the hobby. Not enough margin in kits? Toy train mindset?

I am seriously concerned about the supply of boxcar and other types of car undecorated kits.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron may come and go but I still live in splendid Shelter In Place solitude
Location: About half way up Walnut Creek

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

James Cummings

Side by side, Elgin Car Shops 10 panel, 6' door, 10' high, and Intermountain's (Red Caboose) 70499 car are almost identical. Pierre's product is excellent. James Cummings

Brian Shumaker

It’s a darn shame that IMR gobbled up the competition and then ceased all kit production. A real disservice to the modeling community. I am boycotting IMR which is easy enough, as the old IMWX and Red Caboose kits are still readily available on EBay.
Brian

Clark Propst

I picked up 2 AAR 37 kits at a train meet Saturday. 1 Intermountain, 1 IMWX both cost me $15. Of course the trip cost a tank of gas, but I have my admission and lunch bought for me  ;  ))

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows

Ken Adams

Brian Shumaker

IMR is making it easy to maintain a boycott as they never make undec kit stuff we want anymore anyway...