Topics

Red Caboose NP reefer kitbash with CVMW roof

Andy Carlson

The Central Valley NP Stock Car roof is too wide as a relict of a decision which Jack Parker made in the preliminary design of the stock car. He felt that if made wider, it would allow the cars to make tight radiuses, and perhaps with other perceived reasons.

The car roof needs to be narrowed enough to fit correctly on the RC reefer, and the 1/8" is from memory. I suggest narrowing it exactly to fit. That is what dial calipers are a great tool to have. Fortunately narrowing a curved roof has the joint hidden from the running board. The joint where the two halves bond together will not be tangent. I suppose that a bit of sanding may fix this little problem, but it is not visible with the running board, but you will know!

Another thing--lucky for anyone working on this kitbash, the modifications to get the ends to fit the new roof is made easier in that 0.010" styrene end fascias cover the gaps which an imperfect fitting leaves behind. Don't forget the Accurail fishbelly under frame!

Maybe Dan Smith can comment on the conversion, as he is saw Jerry Glow's work in person before Jerry left California for the land of heat and humidity.

I am no expert on this project, I m simply passing on the ideas as shared with Dave Koester who was the original person who came up with the idea. He told me that the finished NP reefer is close to being accurate, but I think that it would fail the Byron Rose test.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Thursday, November 14, 2019, 5:38:31 PM PST, radiodial868 <radiodial@...> wrote:

This sounds interesting and a way to salvage these beautiful looking paint jobs. Andy, when you say narrow the roof by 1/8", do you mean remove the running board and split the roof under the running board and remove the 1/8" there?
Thx,
RJ Dial

Bill Welch

NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car.

Bill Welch

Fran Giacoma

I pretty much went with what Andy described when I built my CV NP stock car. However, being a "good enough" model for my HO late 1956 era B&O Shenandoah Sub-division layout, I just narrowed the ends and roof, and used the rest of the kit as is. I used dimensions from a diagram of the car and photos found online. Pictures are attached including one showing it being weighed on the scale at Winchester, VA.
Fran Giacoma

Matthew Hurst

Good morning,

Just saw the photos of the NP stock car in Winchester,VA. Love it. Do you live near or in the area of Winchester?  If so I would love to see your layout.

Always like to see models of my hometown.

Regards

Matthew Hurst.

On Nov 15, 2019, at 8:44 AM, Fran Giacoma <frangiacoma@...> wrote:

I pretty much went with what Andy described when I built my CV NP stock car. However, being a "good enough" model for my HO late 1956 era B&O Shenandoah Sub-division layout, I just narrowed the ends and roof, and used the rest of the kit as is. I used dimensions from a diagram of the car and photos found online. Pictures are attached including one showing it being weighed on the scale at Winchester, VA.
Fran Giacoma

Attachments:

Paul Doggett

That is a very nice looking layout thanks for sharing.

Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Fran Giacoma

Paul and Matthew - thanks for the kind comments. My layout was featured in Issue 45 of the B&O Modeler; here is the link to it:
https://borhs.org/ModelerMag/Modeler-45-201711.pdf

I live in southern Delaware.

Fran G.