From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of radiodial868
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 12:48 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Red Caboose NP reefer kitbash

I asked about a year ago what could be done with those nicely painted Red Caboose NP Reefers yoiu find on eBay, and with y'alls input, here are the results from working on them now and then over the course of the year.

Roofs are narrowed down Central Valley Model Works. Underframes are from Tichy flatcars with added handbrake force multipliers per the prototype. Compromises?  Doors are not completely correct, as are the roof hatch icing platforms - but then again this wasn't meant to be a scratchbuild.  I spent waaayy too much time on these as it was.  Not sure about the end ladders on the rebuilds, but once again, ya got to have limits.

In the photos you guys provided, one was of a cool truss-rod version (94000 series) with grabs in the Yellowstone scheme.  Down the rabbit hole I went on that, but duplicated it pretty close.

Since the CVMW roofs came in a 3 pack, I then decided to bash another in the plain post-Yellowstone scheme, using a PFE donor and Microscale decals.  Notice the difference between the NP fonts on the two!  Ugh.
Well, that's it.  What is interesting is that I could have built 9 resin kits in the same manhours it took to do these 3 kitbashes.
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

O Fenton Wells

Look nicely done RJ, thanks for sharing.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Paul Doggett

RJ

You have made fine job of those reefers.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 28 Oct 2020, at 16:54, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

[...]

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

RJ,

You could think of this as getting 3 times the modeling pleasure from a single car.

I spent a similar amount of time kitbashing several RC refrigerators from R-30-12s to R-30-13s using Tichy R-40 underframe parts per Richard Hendrickson. At least I can brag my WP cars are closer to correct than what RC offered.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

[...]

Attachments:

Tony Thompson

     I like the results on the NP reefers. The fact that the cars are not perfect matches to the prototype is another one of those facts that simply WILL creep into any sizable car fleet.

Tony Thompson

Scott

RJ,

Great work!  How long did the truss rod stay in service?  Reefer + Truss rods is a win win in my book!

I know how long projects like that can take.  I volunteered to upgrade and custom paint some Rock Island E8s.  It is taking a lifetime and I won't even get to run them!

Thanks for sharing them!
Scott McDonald

Jim Betz

RJ,
  Just use a simulated "hazardous" label that says "Don't couple with another
NP reefer" and most won't notice the difference in the lettering .... ???
                                                                                                                  - Jim

radiodial868

The reweigh date on the 94631 photo is 1937. I model 1939, so figured I was safe. Speaking of that photo, here it is along with my version.
I would like to be able to credit the photographer, anyone know who it is and/or what collection it is in?
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

O Fenton Wells

Very nicely done RJ, good booking model.
Fenton

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 11:24 AM radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:
The reweigh date on the 94631 photo is 1937. I model 1939, so figured I was safe. Speaking of that photo, here it is along with my version.
I would like to be able to credit the photographer, anyone know who it is and/or what collection it is in?
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Brian Stokes

Very nice! Now, where to get the proper roof in O scale...?

Brian

--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48

Donald B. Valentine

What a neat refer that No. Pac. #94631 is! That would be a GREAT prototype for Frank Hodina

To do masters for as nicely as he did those for the Santa Fe Rr-11 for Sunshine. That is easily on

of the best resin car kits to assemble I’ve ever experienced and offers superb results. Like your

model of the prototype as well and see ahy you chose it.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tim O'Connor

94631 appears to be a popular number

On 10/29/2020 11:24 AM, radiodial868 wrote:
The reweigh date on the 94631 photo is 1937. I model 1939, so figured I was safe. Speaking of that photo, here it is along with my version.
I would like to be able to credit the photographer, anyone know who it is and/or what collection it is in?
--
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Attachments: