Topics

Reefer: Reverse Opening Hatch Cover

Bob Chaparro

Reefer: Reverse Opening Hatch Cover

This photo from the Library of Congress shows Northern Refrigerator Car Company reefer:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2017839485/resource/

The car has two-piece hatch covers and plugs. I notice the hatch covers are in the "reverse position", similar to the design used on SFRD reefers generally before the era of mechanical icing machines.

Was this a common feature of Northern Refrigerator Car Company reefers? Did any other companies/railroads use this design?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

lrkdbn

No, this car has standard hatches. What is making it look like SFRD style hatches is the hatch plug laying on the roof at an angle. You can see the wood outside covers at an angle opened to ventilate the car; the open end facing the end of the car. I also have the Pullman builder's drawing for the NRC reefers and it shows "normal" hatches.
BTW thanks for bringing all these photos to our attention as you do!!!
Larry King

Bob Chaparro

You are so right. I enlarged the photo further than before and I can now see that these are normal hatch covers.
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro

brianleppert@att.net

And the enlarged photo shows the two box cars ahead have some kind of roof hatches as well as other odd details.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV