reefer roofs

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Thanks Richard and tim,
This reefer roof business only confuses me on a question I asked awhile
back about what roof was on the URTX 4800 series (leased to M&StL). They
had the same recessed groove between the roof and sides. I was planning
on putting the diagonal panel roof on the model tomorrow, but looks like
it should be rectangular?
The more you learn the dumber you are!
Clark ProPst

Richard Hendrickson

Thanks Richard and tim,
This reefer roof business only confuses me on a question I asked awhile
back about what roof was on the URTX 4800 series (leased to M&StL). They
had the same recessed groove between the roof and sides. I was planning
on putting the diagonal panel roof on the model tomorrow, but looks like
it should be rectangular?
Not necessarily; it depends on when the roof was applied. Rectangular
panel roofs were the rule from ca. 1932 to ca. 1948. Beginning in 1948,
the diagonal panel roof rapidly came into use and was applied almost
universally for another decade or more. The only photo I have of a URTX
4800 series car is a low-angle shot in which the roof is invisible, but I
have another shot of URTX 23610 which is identical in design, and it has a
diagonal panel roof. So I think you're safe in assuming that these
1950s-vintage URT rebuilds all had diagonal panel roofs.

The more you learn the dumber you are!
Not true, but the more you learn, the more questions you know how to ask.
Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power. If you don't believe that,
start telling other model railroaders all the stuff you're learning about
freight cars on this list and watch them flee in terror, leaving you as the
all-powerful (but solitary) master of all you survey.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520