Topics

Request help for a 1928 Equipment Register

Andy Carlson

From Ted Cullota's series of books, "Focus on the Freight Car
vol ten other freight car types" has some great photos of various tank cars pictured from the 1930s. One of particular interest to me is the Rio Grande Oil Co., R.G.O.X. 234. The 10000 gallon tank car is a type 17 GATC design.

I would like to know if any of these cars date back to 1928 and if so, what numbers were assigned?

Thanks for any help for this project.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Inline image
Inline image

Steve and Barb Hile

It looks like there were about 55 of these cars, as of October 1926 ORER

Steve Hile

vol ten other freight car types" has some great photos of various tank cars pictured from the 1930s. One of particular interest to me is the Rio Grande Oil Co., R.G.O.X. 234. The 10000 gallon tank car is a type 17 GATC design.

I would like to know if any of these cars date back to 1928 and if so, what numbers were assigned?

Thanks for any help for this project.

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

Inline image

Inline image

Dave Parker

This is a case where the tank-car tariff books can really help clarify things relative to what you can tease out of an ORER..  As per the 1936 edition, RGOX 234 had a dome volume of 256 gal, very typical of the the GA 1917 design cars.  Others in the 201-255 series with the same dome size:  201, 203-210, 226-240.  So, it looks like 24 similar cars (at most), rather than 55.  No guarantee that all 24 cars were of the same design as #234, but it's a reasonable guess.

Hope this helps.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA