Topics

Requesting instructions for Wright Trak Seaboard V10

Clark Cooper

Hello,

I recently acquired a Wright Trak Seaboard V10 kit, and a note inside the box refers me to the no-longer-existent web site to download the instructions. I searched the RealSTMFC group files and messages, just in case, but did not see them. Nor could I find them on the Wayback Machine archives of the original Wright Trak web site.

Would some kind soul be willing & able to email me a copy of the instructions?

If so, please send to csc[at]mchsi[dot]com

Thanks!
-Clark Cooper

Bill Welch

Suggest contacting Gregory King, new owner of the V9 and V10 patterns and kits. His company is Southbound Modelworkd and Decals Co.

https://www.sbmwdco.com/

Bill Welch

Bruce A. Metcalf

Clark Cooper wrote:

I recently acquired a Wright Trak Seaboard V10 kit, and a note inside the box refers me to the no-longer-existent web site to download the instructions. I searched the RealSTMFC group files and messages, just in case, but did not see them. Nor could I find them on the Wayback Machine archives of the original Wright Trak web site.
Have you tried looking at the Internet Archive to see if they have the page? Go to <https://archive.org/> and enter the URL in the search field. I've been surprised at how many dead websites are stored there.

Cheers,
/ Bruce /

Clark Cooper

Hi Bruce,

I tried that first. It has some instruction sheets, but not for this particular kit.

However, Paul Bizier came to the rescue and sent me a scan of his instruction sheet.

Thanks.
-Clark Cooper

On Jan 26, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Bruce A. Metcalf <bruce.metcalf@...> wrote:

Clark Cooper wrote:

I recently acquired a Wright Trak Seaboard V10 kit, and a note inside the box refers me to the no-longer-existent web site to download the instructions. I searched the RealSTMFC group files and messages, just in case, but did not see them. Nor could I find them on the Wayback Machine archives of the original Wright Trak web site.

Have you tried looking at the Internet Archive to see if they have the page? Go to <https://archive.org/> and enter the URL in the search field. I've been surprised at how many dead websites are stored there.

Cheers,
/ Bruce /

Bill Welch

I have sent Gregory at Southbound Modelworkd and Decals Co. my pictorial diary of my v9/v10 build for use on his website. Photos used to be on the old resin builder Yahoo group. Hopefully they will appear soon. I can tell the the doors on the WT kit are way too thick and need to be reduced in thickness by about two-thirds for a more scale appearance. Also, if you are doing the model with vent door in vent position that part needs to be adjusted so it will sit in the door opening. For screening I used stainless steel screen material from a French Coffee press. These can be found as replacement parts from "Bodum" and other companies that sell this type of coffee brewer and on Amazon.

Bill Welch

Clark Cooper

Thanks Bill!

-Clark Cooper

On Jan 26, 2020, at 6:07 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I have sent Gregory at Southbound Modelworkd and Decals Co. my pictorial diary of my v9/v10 build for use on his website. Photos used to be on the old resin builder Yahoo group. Hopefully they will appear soon. I can tell the the doors on the WT kit are way too thick and need to be reduced in thickness by about two-thirds for a more scale appearance. Also, if you are doing the model with vent door in vent position that part needs to be adjusted so it will sit in the door opening. For screening I used stainless steel screen material from a French Coffee press. These can be found as replacement parts from "Bodum" and other companies that sell this type of coffee brewer and on Amazon.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Here are a couple of Jack Parker photos made in Toronto: https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/photo/43681/0?p=Name,,sal+v9,20,1,0,0

Given the slight curve on the top cord of the Andrews trucks, I think the Life-Like now Walthers Andrews is good for this model.

Bill Welch

Allen Cain

Clark,

I suspect that you already got what you were looking for but here is another copy of the instructions and a few pictures that I have collected off of the internet.  If you have other pics I would appreciate copies.

Allen Cain

Donald B. Valentine

Wright Trak was furnishing instructions on a small size CD for the V-9 and V-10
cars unle he finally changed to rinted ones.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Clark Cooper

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. While I’m not a y'all road modeler, one of these neat cars could occasionally make an appearance.

-Clark Cooper

On Jan 26, 2020, at 6:31 PM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

Clark,

I suspect that you already got what you were looking for but here is another copy of the instructions and a few pictures that I have collected off of the internet. If you have other pics I would appreciate copies.

Allen Cain

Donald B. Valentine

   Another source of door sreening for ventilated boxcars is Precision Scale #48262. I do not know
the size of the screening used on the prototyes and wonder of anyone has ever thought to measure
this on any of the preserved cars. The PSC screening can't be more than about 2 inches x 2 inches
in HO scale and is so fine I would recommend blackening it as even the thinnest paint would likely
only plug it. It is finer screen than that used with the paint screens sold for use on the bottle tubes of
airbrushes such as the Paasches I use. I believe the filters are actually made by Badger and are sold
by Walthers as item #165-502016 for $7.60 each.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Donald B. Valentine

Lark Cooper wrote: While I’m not a y'all road modeler, one of these neat cars could occasionally make an appearance.

   That could be said even if you were modeling some of the roads in Eastern Canada.

Cordialy, Don Valentine

Eric Hansmann

Here’s some info on a few Seaboard ventilated boxcar classes. Wright Trak had produced the V9 and V10 class cars as HO scale resin kit models.

The Seaboard Air Line installed 2,150 V9 class ventilated boxcars in 1922. The Chickasaw Car & Shipbuilding built 1,250 cars (28000-29249) and Pressed Steel Car built an additional 900 cars (89000-89899). SAL added another 1,000 cars in 1923 of the V10 class, all built by Pressed Steel Car (79000-79999).

The V8 class cars were built by Pressed Steel Car in 1914 (27500-27961). These had a fishbelly side sill. Other early SAL ventilated boxcars also had a fishbelly side sill.

Larry Goolsby wrote about the Seaboard ventilated boxcar fleet in the 1st Q 1998 issue of Lines South.

The January 1943 ORER  lists 3,046 ventilated boxcars on the SAL.

27000-27961 - 9 cars (possibly V8 class)
28000-29249 - 1,206 cars (V9 class)
79000-79999 - 969 cars (V10 class)
89000-89899 - 862 cars (V9 class)

A note indicates all these cars were equipped with Wine ventilators.

The 1943 SAL ventilated boxcar fleet was the third largest. Central of Georgia (3,647) and Atlantic Coast Line (3,244) were the top two. The total of all CoG, ACL, and SAL ventilated cars was 72% of the 13,810 US railroad ventilated boxcars in the 1943 ORER.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Lark Cooper wrote: While I’m not a y'all road modeler, one of these neat cars could occasionally make an appearance.

   That could be said even if you were modeling some of the roads in Eastern Canada.

Cordialy, Don Valentine

Robert kirkham

It can be said for the west coast of Canada.  Somewhere in my stuff I have photo proof . . .

Rob

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:50 AM, Eric Hansmann wrote:

The 1943 SAL ventilated boxcar fleet was the third largest. Central of Georgia (3,647) and Atlantic Coast Line (3,244) were the top two. The total of all CoG, ACL, and SAL ventilated cars was 72% of the 13,810 US railroad ventilated boxcars in the 1943 ORER.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Add to this total around 2,000 36-foot ventilated boxcars owned by the Louisville & Nashville during this period. These were built in 1923—one thousand each by Mt. Vernon and Tenn. Coal, Iron & Railroad.

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells

Allen Did you get your information?
Fenton