Rescan of tank car photo uploaded

tgmadden <tgmadden@...>

My new slide scanner arrived an hour ago, and I've just uploaded a rescan of
the "teaser" tank car - box car photo posted previously. The file is at
http://home.att.net/~tgmadden/REN1.jpg

Be warned - it's big, 1.1Meg, and is a raw scan at maximum scanner
resolution (2400dpi).

The scan didn't reach all the way into the corners of the slide, so the car
number for the NYC box car in the lower right isn't shown. It's 107451.

There are some interesting express cars on the rearmost track, and I think
the first one is a Santa Fe car. The third one has an unusual (?) window &
door arrangement.

Our newest grandchild (a boy) arrived Tuesday evening, we head for Texas in
the morning, so this will be the only scan until we return in a week or two.
Everyone's doing fine, although my wife is anxious to get her hands on Ryan
Kenneth Halter and get started training our daughter on how to be a mother.

[Note to Tim: 30 minutes from opening the box until the first scan was in
the computer.]

Tom Madden

tgmadden@worldnet.att.net

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tom,

Did your imaging software have an "unsharp mask" tool in the sharpening
menu? This might help tighten the scan up a bit. It looks like you did
an outstanding job on your first try.

Notice the size of the dome on the third tank car? Positively
gargantuan!

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

tgmadden wrote:

[...]

Shawn Beckert

Guys,

Judging from the photo, that Cities Service car is
only about 8000 gallons - or it's 10k and that third
car is a monster at 12k or more capacity. Didn't the
dome capacity of a tank car in those days only need to
be 2% of the total? That dome looks to be way larger
than needed. What could possibly be the reason for a
dome that size?

Shawn Beckert

tgmadden <tgmadden@...>

Garth Groff suggested:
Did your imaging software have an "unsharp mask" tool in the sharpening
menu? This might help tighten the scan up a bit. It looks like you did
an outstanding job on your first try.

Thanks. I tried your suggestion in Photoshop, and it worked well enough to
tell that the L&N Pullman is "Sydney Lanier", available in HO model form as
the much-loved Bachmann Pullman. But we've got to get packing so I can't do
anything more until we return from Texas.

The photo was taken at Rensselaer NY by Gerritt Bruins in 1958, and is from
the Chuck Yungkurth collection.

Tom

Richard Hendrickson

My new slide scanner arrived an hour ago, and I've just uploaded a rescan of
the "teaser" tank car - box car photo posted previously.
The gray car closest to the camera was a GATC-built car dating from the
mid-1920s. No evidence in the photo of ownership.

The Cities Service (EORX) car was one of a large number of 8K gal. cars
with tall domes built by AC&F ca. 1926 to a non-AC&F design. Some (maybe
all) were originally insulated for gasoline service, but it wasn't unusual
for insulated cars to have their insulation removed later in life.

The third car appears to be a 12K gal. AC&F car of a design built ca. 1930
for the Texas Co. with very large domes and three grabs on each side of the
dome. These cars were intended for tar or asphalt service, which may
account for the unusually large domes. The Texaco cars later went to the
GATX fleet after General American took over management of Texaco's tank
cars, and the car in the photo probably had GATX reporting marks.

The fourth and sixth cars, with flat-faced side sills and turnbuckle
tiedowns welded to the tanks instead of the more usual bands, were almost
certainly Gulf 10K gal. cars in the GRCX 5000-5199 series.

Maybe if Tom can sharpen up the scan a bit more, some other data will
become visible.

There are some interesting express cars on the rearmost track, and I think
the first one is a Santa Fe car.
3700-3799 series "semi-lightweight" bagg.express, built in the mid-'50s to
replace the Santa Fe's aging fleet of heavyweight head end cars.

The third one has an unusual (?) window & door arrangement.
It's a horse express car with three doors per side (typical of HE cars) and
a full opening end door (note the squared-off end toward the camera). I
can't identify the RR that owned this one, but many HE cars had numerous
small windows adjacent to the stalls, as this car did.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Atsfmodelr@...

heavyweights "baggage cars"in background may be santa fe's also. note lack
of belt rails. could other cars be a horse car.