Topics

Retainer Valves

Dave Lawler

Good day all,
Does anyone make a HO scale retainer valve casting  for one that was in common usage for our (steam era) period?
I found a bulk pack on Shapeways and I wonder if they are correct and appropriate?
The ones from Precision Scale don't look right to me??
Thank you for any advise,
Dave Lawler

Brian Carlson

Just announced this month. Yarmouth models.

Brian J. Carlson

On Dec 18, 2020, at 5:31 PM, Dave Lawler <davelawler@...> wrote:

Good day all,
Does anyone make a HO scale retainer valve casting  for one that was in common usage for our (steam era) period?
I found a bulk pack on Shapeways and I wonder if they are correct and appropriate?
The ones from Precision Scale don't look right to me??
Thank you for any advise,
Dave Lawler

Jack Burgess

Dave…

Here is a photo of one from a Yosemite Valley Railroad wood stock car (with KC air brakes). It measures 6” from the bottom of the nut to the top of the casting.

Jack Burgess

Does anyone make a HO scale retainer valve casting  for one that was in common usage for our (steam era) period?
I found a bulk pack on Shapeways and I wonder if they are correct and appropriate?
The ones from Precision Scale don't look right to me??
Thank you for any advise,
Dave Lawler

Dave Lawler

Thank you Brian. Just what I needed and the price is right.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tim O'Connor

Speaking of Yarmouth -- I can't see a difference between the "early" and "late" styles of the end doors.
Can someone tell me how they are different?

On 12/18/2020 5:40 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io wrote:
Just announced this month. Yarmouth models.

Brian J. Carlson

On Dec 18, 2020, at 5:31 PM, Dave Lawler <davelawler@...> wrote:

Good day all,
Does anyone make a HO scale retainer valve casting  for one that was in common usage for our (steam era) period?
I found a bulk pack on Shapeways and I wonder if they are correct and appropriate?
The ones from Precision Scale don't look right to me??
Thank you for any advise,
Dave Lawler

Sterling, Massachusetts

Pierre Oliver

It’s subtle but there is a difference
The late version has a full thin corrugation within the main recess

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

On Dec 20, 2020, at 11:05 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Speaking of Yarmouth -- I can't see a difference between the "early" and "late" styles of the end doors.
Can someone tell me how they are different?

On 12/18/2020 5:40 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io wrote:
Just announced this month. Yarmouth models.

Brian J. Carlson

On Dec 18, 2020, at 5:31 PM, Dave Lawler <davelawler@...> wrote:

Good day all,
Does anyone make a HO scale retainer valve casting  for one that was in common usage for our (steam era) period?
I found a bulk pack on Shapeways and I wonder if they are correct and appropriate?
The ones from Precision Scale don't look right to me??
Thank you for any advise,
Dave Lawler

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Thanks! Extreme modeling, indeed. :-)

On 12/20/2020 11:08 AM, Pierre Oliver wrote:
[...]

WILLIAM PARDIE

Bill Welch swore by the Precision Scale retainer valves.  They offer two types inbrass and plastic.
Prior to changing hands I bought both types in brass as O do all my brake rigging in brass.  I think back then there was a packaging probleml as the same product was in both numbers.  I have not addressed this with the new owners.  I have, however, accumulated the retainer valves from the Cal Scale sets..

Bill Pardie

Dave Lawler

Jack Burgess,
Thank you for the detailed photo of the KC retainer valve. The ones in the Cal-Scale KC & AB sets are so small that I can not make out the detail.even with a magnifier.
This brings me to another question. I understand that sometime in the mid 30s the government mandated that freight cars be fitted with AB brakes but many older cars
were not retro-fitted right away? I model Ontario, Canada in 1944 so there are likely to be a mix of brake systems? When the brakes on an older car were changed was the retainer
valve changed at the same time? Is a KC valve like the one you pictured not compatible with the AB system or might there me a mix?
Thank you and Merry Christmas to all,
Dave Lawler
Avon Lake, Ohio

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 01:34 PM, Dave Lawler wrote:
I model Ontario, Canada in 1944 so there are likely to be a mix of brake systems? When the brakes on an older car were changed was the retainer
valve changed at the same time? Is a KC valve like the one you pictured not compatible with the AB system or might there me a mix?
There was a mix... for a long time. Both valves are compatible, but the AB equipment has more features; a separate supply of air for an emergency brake application, for one. This was not a government mandate, but rather a requirement for interchange under the AAR agreement. The railroads could continue using K brakes on captive equipment that was not interchanged after the final effective date of the rule change in the early fifties. Canada was a special case, as I don't believe the major carriers (CP and CN) enforced the AAR rules on each other. At any rate, I recall seeing K brake equipped cars running in captive service on the GWWD in Winnipeg in 1975, long after the cut-off of our discussions here.

Dennis Storzek

Tony Thompson

On Dec 21, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Dave Lawler wrote:

I understand that sometime in the mid 30s the government mandated that freight cars be fitted with AB brakes but many older cars
were not retro-fitted right away?

   The mandate was for new construction and for "significant repairs or upgrades," obviously subject to interpretation. Older cars in many cases soldiered on until there was a ban on K systems in interchange.

Tony Thompson

Dave Lawler

Thank you Dennis, that certainly adds a new twist to being “prototypically correct”.

Dave Lawler

Sent from Mail for Windows 10