Retired vs. Scrapped?

akerboomk

Looking thru the B&M car disposal records (coming, eventually, to the web site), one thing I noticed...

Up thru 1930, cars were noted "sold for scrap"
Starting in 1931, cars were noted "Retired" (or "Retired a/c age")

Anyone know if there was an accounting or ICC reporting or ? change at that point in time?
Or is this just a "B&M Thing"

Note other cars were noted "Destroyed" (I assume that means "wrecked"), so it's not that.

--
Ken Akerboom

Tony Thompson

Ken Akerboom wrote:

Up thru 1930, cars were noted "sold for scrap"
Starting in 1931, cars were noted "Retired" (or "Retired a/c age")

Anyone know if there was an accounting or ICC reporting or ? change at that point in time?
Or is this just a "B&M Thing"

Note other cars were noted "Destroyed" (I assume that means "wrecked"), so it's not that.
In the SP car ledgers I have seen, “retired” meant “removed from revenue service.” Some cars were subsequently selected by the MOW people for their use (moving to a different ledger), and some cars were sold “as-is” to short lines, so “retired” did not mean demolished.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com

Charles Peck

The answer might be that there was little market for scrap during the Depression, At the same time, retiring unneeded
equipment to get it off the books may have had advantages.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 2:21 PM akerboomk <ken-akerboom@...> wrote:
Looking thru the B&M car disposal records (coming, eventually, to the web site), one thing I noticed...

Up thru 1930, cars were noted "sold for scrap"
Starting in 1931, cars were noted "Retired" (or "Retired a/c age")

Anyone know if there was an accounting or ICC reporting or ? change at that point in time?
Or is this just a "B&M Thing"

Note other cars were noted "Destroyed" (I assume that means "wrecked"), so it's not that.

--
Ken Akerboom

Daniel A. Mitchell

The Huckleberry Railroad in Flint, Michigan has a 3’ gauge D&RGW “short” caboose, #0526 that was officially “retired” by the D&RGW in the 1950’s, removed from the books, and was presumed scrapped for many years. But, instead it fell through a knothole in the records, and we have it, now restored. D&RGW fans are still confused. It now has good company since HRR also has K-27 #464, a good match for it. How that happened is a bit of a story, but don’t believe everything “in the books” … even good references can be wrong.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Jul 5, 2021, at 2:39 PM, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

The answer might be that there was little market for scrap during the Depression, At the same time, retiring unneeded
equipment to get it off the books may have had advantages.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 2:21 PM akerboomk <ken-akerboom@...> wrote:
Looking thru the B&M car disposal records (coming, eventually, to the web site), one thing I noticed...

Up thru 1930, cars were noted "sold for scrap"
Starting in 1931, cars were noted "Retired" (or "Retired a/c age")

Anyone know if there was an accounting or ICC reporting or ? change at that point in time?
Or is this just a "B&M Thing"

Note other cars were noted "Destroyed" (I assume that means "wrecked"), so it's not that.

--
Ken Akerboom

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 01:17 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
The Huckleberry Railroad in Flint, Michigan has a 3’ gauge D&RGW “short” caboose, #0526 that was officially “retired” by the D&RGW in the 1950’s, removed from the books, and was presumed scrapped for many years.
Shouldn't be any mystery here. Retired, as someone said above, means removed from revenue service, but doesn't say anything about final disposition. It could be stripped of parts and the body used as a storage shed, or it could have been sold outright, either for further use, or for use as a shed. Sold for scrap, only shows an intention. The car was sold, but the railroad really doesn't know what the buyer did with it. Very few railroads had agreements with scrap yards that equipment couldn't be resold for further use, and scrap yards were always open to making an easy buck through reselling equipment rather than having to invest the labor to cut it up.

The most definite term is destroyed. This normally means exactly what it says; the equipment was damaged beyond repair or salvage, but there are even exceptions to that.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

akerboomk

I probably should have said…

They also specifically note cars converted to work service (“Converted to W3000” or “Mxxxx” or “Sxxxx” or “0xxx”)

Also some cars were “sold for scrap” [or retired] then 2 (or 3 or 4) months later they were “returned to service and converted to [work equipment number]”

So the “sold for scrap” did not necessarily mean they were immediately scrapped.

Thanks all for your thoughts!

--
Ken Akerboom