Topics

RI 264000 lettering

mopacfirst

I have a RI 264000 series single-sheathed double door box (Rocket Express) almost ready to paint.  I'm looking for the lettering style from the mid-late 50s, either as a general service car or as a hide car.  There are plenty of photos on line of RI 264070, freshly restored to its as-built paint scheme, but none in-service late in life.

I can assume that, beyond the reporting marks and data, that there probably would not have been a herald or ROCK ISLAND lettering on the car.  Is this likely?  And reporting marks - Roman or gothic?

Ron Merrick

Norm Buckhart

Ron - this could have been renumbered but may be what you are looking for.  norm buckhart

On Dec 8, 2019, at 8:31 AM, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

I have a RI 264000 series single-sheathed double door box (Rocket Express) almost ready to paint.  I'm looking for the lettering style from the mid-late 50s, either as a general service car or as a hide car.  There are plenty of photos on line of RI 264070, freshly restored to its as-built paint scheme, but none in-service late in life.

I can assume that, beyond the reporting marks and data, that there probably would not have been a herald or ROCK ISLAND lettering on the car.  Is this likely?  And reporting marks - Roman or gothic?

Ron Merrick

Schleigh Mike

Hello Ron & Group!

I have a Jay Williams print of RI 40400, no date but reweighed 10-62.  The lettering style is that 'block' style that came to the Rock late in the 1950s.  There is no herald on the right.  That series of car numbers was created about that time for hide service and the 40400 is so labeled.  This car is modeled by Rocket Express RI-2 (double door, fixed ends).

Hope this helps.

Regards from frosty Grove City in western Penna.

Mike Schleigh

On Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:31:25 AM EST, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

I have a RI 264000 series single-sheathed double door box (Rocket Express) almost ready to paint.  I'm looking for the lettering style from the mid-late 50s, either as a general service car or as a hide car.  There are plenty of photos on line of RI 264070, freshly restored to its as-built paint scheme, but none in-service late in life.

I can assume that, beyond the reporting marks and data, that there probably would not have been a herald or ROCK ISLAND lettering on the car.  Is this likely?  And reporting marks - Roman or gothic?

Ron Merrick

Bill Welch

What is wrong with the decals that come with the kit?

Bill Welch

Schleigh Mike

The decals in my kit appear to be for earlier times, perhaps the 'as built' version.  I, and perhaps Ron, would like a source for the the late 1950s Rock Island lettering style.

Mike Schleigh, still in frosty Grove City, Penna.

On Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:43:34 PM EST, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

What is wrong with the decals that come with the kit?

Bill Welch

mopacfirst

The only thing 'wrong' with the decals that come with the kit is that they're for the original build.  More often than not, that's the situation I find myself in, as a late 50s modeler.

I will no doubt cobble the lettering together from Microscale 87-19 since I happen to have several of those.  Not sure yet about the dimensional data but I think I have enough decals from the Gothic style dimensional data Microscale set.

Thanks, Norm, for posting that shot of a hide car, that's exactly what I thought the car should look like.  Mine will probably be a hide car also, since my railroad serves the Wichita stock yards / packing house complex, and that's where I saw one of these about 1970 but I can't come up with a photo of it.

Ron Merrick

Steve and Barb Hile

Here are a couple of examples of the plain block lettering that replaced the RR Roman versions on cars repainted, although a lot of cars probably didn't ever get this scheme.  The 40xxx series were renumbered for hide service.

Steve Hile

The decals in my kit appear to be for earlier times, perhaps the 'as built' version.  I, and perhaps Ron, would like a source for the the late 1950s Rock Island lettering style.

Mike Schleigh, still in frosty Grove City, Penna.

On Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:43:34 PM EST, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

What is wrong with the decals that come with the kit?

Bill Welch

mopacfirst

Interesting that the truck on RI 40921 is a style in which the lower truss members join the journal box near its bottom edge rather than higher up as on later double truss cast sideframes.  There is an HO truck made by Roundhouse that resembles this, which I've used under other 20s-built cars.

Ron Merrick