Topics

RPM Chicagoland News

Jeremy Dummler

We are excited to share that Frank Hodina has found a new location for RPM Chicagoland! The event will be held on Friday evening, October 30 and during the day on Saturday, October 31 at the Northern Illinois University Naperville Conference Center in Naperville, Illinois. Registration and event details will be coming soon to the website. Updates will also be posted on the RPM Chicagoland Facebook page as we make preparations for the 27th RPM Chicagoland event.

The RPM Chicagoland Team

Tim O'Connor

That's very optimistic of him. I hope he's right. Personally, I think 2020 is over.
Plan to have fun in 2021 instead! Think of all the fresh models we'll see in 2021 !

Tim O'

On 3/27/2020 6:03 AM, Jeremy Dummler wrote:
We are excited to share that Frank Hodina has found a new location for RPM Chicagoland! The event will be held on Friday evening, October 30 and during the day on Saturday, October 31 at the Northern Illinois University Naperville Conference Center in Naperville, Illinois. Registration and event details will be coming soon to the website. Updates will also be posted on the RPM Chicagoland Facebook page as we make preparations for the 27th RPM Chicagoland event.
The RPM Chicagoland Team

Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

Very sadly, I agree with Tim.

Schuyler

That's very optimistic of him. I hope he's right. Personally, I think 2020 is over.
Plan to have fun in 2021 instead! Think of all the fresh models we'll see in 2021 !

Tim O'

On 3/27/2020 6:03 AM, Jeremy Dummler wrote:

We are excited to share that Frank Hodina has found a new location for RPM Chicagoland! The event will be held on Friday evening, October 30 and during the day on Saturday, October 31 at the Northern Illinois University Naperville Conference Center in Naperville, Illinois. Registration and event details will be coming soon to the website. Updates will also be posted on the RPM Chicagoland Facebook page as we make preparations for the 27th RPM Chicagoland event.

The RPM Chicagoland Team

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dick Harley

Hate to say this, but I think I am done traveling until there is a proven vaccine for COVID-19 - or it stops on its own (seems unlikely).

Freight car research does continue.  Just finished a full roster spreadsheet of UP class A-50-17 auto cars.
Contact me off list, if you are interested.

Stay Safe & Healthy,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

mel perry

dick:
yes please
thanks
mel perry

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 12:43 PM Dick Harley via Groups.Io <dick.harley4up=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hate to say this, but I think I am done traveling until there is a proven vaccine for COVID-19 - or it stops on its own (seems unlikely).

Freight car research does continue.  Just finished a full roster spreadsheet of UP class A-50-17 auto cars.
Contact me off list, if you are interested.

Stay Safe & Healthy,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Tom Madden

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 09:43 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

That's very optimistic of him. I hope he's right. Personally, I think 2020 is over.
Plan to have fun in 2021 instead! Think of all the fresh models we'll see in 2021 !
As as far as I know it's planned as a one day (Saturday) local meet with setup on Friday evening - the building isn't accessible until 4 pm. Don't think they expect anyone to travel a long distance to it, if traveling is even wise by then. The Sheraton - Lisle would rather do weddings on Saturdays than conventions so they've priced themselves out of range for meets like ours. And since the contract was up after last years meet, the Sheraton had already scheduled events for the weekend we would have been using this year. The virus changes everything of course, and I agree with Tim and Dick.

Tom Madden

On 3/27/2020 6:03 AM, Jeremy Dummler wrote:

We are excited to share that Frank Hodina has found a new location for RPM Chicagoland! The event will be held on Friday evening, October 30 and during the day on Saturday, October 31 at the Northern Illinois University Naperville Conference Center in Naperville, Illinois. Registration and event details will be coming soon to the website. Updates will also be posted on the RPM Chicagoland Facebook page as we make preparations for the 27th RPM Chicagoland event.

The RPM Chicagoland Team

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bob Chapman

Tom Madden writes:
"The Sheraton - Lisle would rather do weddings on Saturdays than conventions so they've priced themselves out of range for meets like ours."

The 1+ day meet arrangements at NIU for 2020 make perfect sense, given the overall situation. But if the hotel situation described by Tom continues into 2021, I have to wonder whether Chicagoland might be nearly as successful with a full 2 1/2 day mid-week convention vs the scaled-down weekend version. Many of the attendees are retirees where "every day is a Saturday," and the sampling of younger attendees I have met seem committed enough RPMers to consider scheduling vacation time. Mid-week weddings would be less of an issue; mid-week competition for the convention space and room availability vs. weekday business travel would have to be checked out with the hotel.

No question we would lose some folks with mid-week timing, but if things look encouraging from the hotel, there might be interesting insight if Frank were to poll the registrants and dealers from 2019 with this question. And to put us back on topic for realSTMFC -- more time for freight car clinics and discussion!

Regards,
Bob Chapman

skibbs4

While the Sheraton did try to move us to a Wed-Fri program schedule, the issue was the costs didn’t go down. We have a lot of walk in traffic from locals on Saturday, a day we offer a one day rate for those folks who couldn’t get off work during the week. It helped balance the bills enough that we weren’t comfortable losing out on that bit of revenue. If the show continued in its “Big Format”.

I applaud Frank’s willingness to shift this event a bit. A small format is a good thing this year. And let’s see what 2021 brings. I hope everything bounces back.

I do know that I’m finding a lot of time to work on models all of the sudden. Make sure you support your local hobby shops. And or Des Plaines Hobbies who are still doing mail order!

Mike Skibbe
www.rpmconference.com

On Mar 29, 2020, at 2:29 AM, Bob Chapman <chapbob611@...> wrote:

Tom Madden writes:
[...]

tyesac@aol.com

I'm going to guess that the Schaumburg convention center was priced out of the picture?

Tom Casey

Tom Madden writes:
[...]

Mont Switzer

Should be one hell of a one day show.   Mont Switzer

Tom Madden writes:
[...]

Frank Hodina

The reason for the one day event is that was the only date available at NIU for 2020. In 2021 the RPM could be one, two or three days. And the reason for holding the event at NIU is the cost which is less than half of what a hotel charges per day. The attendance fee will drop to something like $50. Also there's no risk with booking with NIU as they have a 15 day cancellation period with a 100% refund.

Frank

Tony Thompson

Should be one hell of a one day show.   Mont Switzer

    But that's why I may not choose to attend, given the travel involved from the West Coast. I have only missed one or two "Naperville" meets, but this sounds like it might be another. That's just me at a great distance, of course. If I were closer I would love to support it, and depending how things fall out in the fall, might come just for the buzz.

Tony Thompson

golden1014

That's interesting about RPM events and weddings.  When I was running St. Louis RPM, I ran into scheduling problems every year--almost every time due to weddings.  Weddings bring in a lot more money because of all the catering and alcohol of course.  Around 2010 I started selling our meet to the staff as "an event catering to happy retirees who have plenty of money, and are pleasant and will follow the rules, and most importantly we won't get drunk and cause any trouble".  The first time I said that the staff was taken by surprise, but they thought about it and realized it was true.  They gave us everything we wanted.  They liked the idea of an easy event where everybody cleans up after themselves.

I hope Frank can rebuild Naperville.  The attendee base is already there.  The first St. Louis RPM in 2004 was a one-day event, 90 attendees, in a community center, and 15 years later it was 2-1/2 days, almost 650 attendees.  Now that there's no hotel fees to worry about in Chicago, I think---if Frank can keep costs to an absolute minimum---there's no reason why he couldn't get 750 or 1,000 attendees on the first go.

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany