Rubberized Livestock Car Slats (1956)

Bob Chaparro

Rubberized Livestock Car Slats (1956)

Article with photos from Don Strack’s UtahRails Website:

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Union-Pacific/UP-Freight-Cars/i-RjP4tmh/A

From Railway Age, May 19, 1956.

Better photo of UP 42000:

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Union-Pacific/UP-Freight-Cars/i-53cqxbT/A

Class S-40-15, built 1-1956 in the Omaha Shops.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup

Jim Betz

Bob/anyone,
  Cattle will eat/chew on anything in their reach.  Were these cars successful or
were they later reworked to remove the 'rubberized' coating?
                                                                                                     - Jim

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 06:36 AM, Jim Betz wrote:
Cattle will eat/chew on anything in their reach.  Were these cars successful or
were they later reworked to remove the 'rubberized' coating?
I doubt they had to remove it; the cattle would take care of that :-)

The short text included with the image is interesting, in that it mentions hides "sticking" to the slats. I suspect the UP initially wanted to use steel slats to cut down on maintenance, and ran into the old tongue stuck to the flagpole problem during the winter; in extremely cold weather the sweaty flanks of the animals would freeze to the steel... inhumane and leaving the load damaged. So, the bed-liner was the solution. Likely enough survived the chewing to still be effective to keep the animals from "sticking."

Dennis Storzek

akerboomk

RE: Cattle chewing on coating

Note the caption said the coating was tested “on 25 cars for 3 years”.

I’m assuming someone would notice if there was a problem with the cattle chewing on the coating over that time.

But you never know…

Ken

--
Ken Akerboom