Topics

Running Board Support Sander

Aley, Jeff A

Hi Folks,

Yesterday I found an interesting tool that the late Denny Anspach had.  As you can see it is labelled “Roofwalk (sic) support angle sander”.  The end view (I added the yellow lines) tells the story – it’s a strip of wood that was beveled on a table saw.  It has sandpaper applied so that it can be used to make running board supports.

It’s one of those simple things that made me say, “Why did I think of that?”

Enjoy,

-Jeff

james murrie

That seems so typical of Denny to make his own tools!
Jim Murrie

Ken O'Brien

Jeff,

What's the angle?

Ken O'Brien

Aley, Jeff A

Hi Ken,

It’s hard to get a good measurement on something that small, but I measure 15 degrees (or you could say it’s 180 – 15 = 165 degrees).

However, if I were going to make a new one, I’d measure a prototype drawing (or a model I’m trying to fit) and use that measurement instead.

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken O'Brien
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 4:16 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Running Board Support Sander

Jeff,

What's the angle?

Ken O'Brien

Jack Mullen

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 08:59 AM, Aley, Jeff A wrote:

It’s hard to get a good measurement on something that small, but I measure 15 degrees (or you could say it’s 180 – 15 = 165 degrees).

However, if I were going to make a new one, I’d measure a prototype drawing (or a model I’m trying to fit) and use that measurement instead.

I made a quick pass through the '40 Cyc with a digital protractor measuring the included angles of roofs in box/auto car end or cross-section drawings.  I get a range of included angles from a bit over 166 deg to somewhat under 170. The mean is 168 more or less, which is a good fit to Murphy and Viking roofs as found in these drawings. But a 2 degree range in roof slope only makes about 3/8" difference at the center of a 20" running board.

That said, this ain't rocket surgery. You may find that the folded sandpaper leaves the apex somewhat rounded, and need a more acute angle to compensate. As Jeff said, match the roof you're trying to fit. Then check how the pieces fit, and tweak the tool accordingly.
This dates me, but quite a few years ago I used folded sandpaper glued to the middle of a piece of Northeastern roof stock.  Later switched to cutting with a chisel blade guided by a hand-filed brass jig.

Jack Mullen