Rusty wheels [was] Branchline UTLX Wood Reefer

Charlie Duckworth

Dennis
Thanks, having worked for a Class One for 38 years I was going off memory.  Easy fix. Thanks

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 4:22 PM Dennis Storzek <dennis_at_accurail.com_Worth51@...> wrote:
Really nice weathering, Charlie, as on all your cars. But, we need to have a discussion about weathering wheels. Rusty wheel plates is a modern, post roller bearing thing. Solid bearings used a 'total
Really nice weathering, Charlie, as on all your cars. But, we need to have a discussion about weathering wheels. Rusty wheel plates is a modern, post roller bearing thing. Solid bearings used a 'total loss' lube system, where after the oil was drawn up between the axle and bearing, a portion migrated out the back of the journal box (there was no oil seal) where ti was flung out on the face of the wheel. Of course, anything oily in a dusty environment quickly builds a coating of oily grunge. Those cast iron wheels might have started out rusty, but they didn't stay that way long.

What is everyone's favorite wheel color?

Dennis Storzek

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.