Topics

Rutland flatcar with trailer load

Douglas Harding

Here is an interesting image. Shows Rutland 2700 flatcar with two short Freuhauf trailers, being delivered in Des Moines IA. I don’t have a date, but would say circa 1920.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Eric Hansmann

Neat photo! The weigh date stencil looks like 3   17.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On January 9, 2020 at 8:09 PM Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

Here is an interesting image. Shows Rutland 2700 flatcar with two short Freuhauf trailers, being delivered in Des Moines IA. I don’t have a date, but would say circa 1920.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Marty McGuirk

Interesting shot. I don't have the article, but back in the early days of prototype rolling stock modeling (John Nehrich or perhaps even Richard?) did an article on reworking an Athearn flat to more closely resemble the Rutland car.
Paul Dolkos had a car based on this article (built for him by Tom Underwood) on his old B&M layout that I acquired a few years ago (see http://centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com/2012/04/home-for-orphans.html) when Paul lost the true faith and started modeling Baltimore....He felt a Rutland flat would have been out of place in Baltimore ... <g>

Marty McGuirk

On January 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

Here is an interesting image. Shows Rutland 2700 flatcar with two short Freuhauf trailers, being delivered in Des Moines IA. I don’t have a date, but would say circa 1920.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Marty and Friends,

The article was indeed by Richard Hendrickson, and is found in the August 1993 RAILMODEL JOURNAL. Richard said this was the only close prototype he could find for the Athearn 40' flatcar, due to it having 11 stake pockets on each side.

John Nehrich used the same flatcar to build flat cars and gondolas for the NEB&W (which is almost a prototype line in its own right). His gondolas were based on Rutland 2700-series flats rebuilt as gondolas 4500-4505. His article in the the January 1986 MODEL RAILROADER.

Restored Rutland flat car 2777 is at Steamtown.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 7:28 AM Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:
[...]

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Apparently the May 1999 issue of RMC page 106 has an image of another of these RUTLAND flat cars, looks like RUT 2762, from the Dominic Raia collection. I don't know if there was also an article associated with the image, since I scanned only the image and got rid of the paper copy when I moved last.

Also, it looks like this same car, RUT 2762, may still possibly survive at the Danbury Railway Museum, see link below.

Claus Schlund

[...]

I believe the photo was taken in Des Moines IA. Warfield Pratt & Howell was a grocery warehouse company in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Sioux City IA. The banner would indicated the car was loaded in Detroit, so it was a long way from Vermont. Demonstrating that cars, even flat cars, got a long way from home.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Donald B. Valentine

Rutland modeler Ray Muntz and others put quite a bit of time into restoring that flat car.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Walter Cox

Unfortunately, there was no article associated with the photo. It was contained in an ad for a Railworks brass car model. I may do the Athearn kitbash but would need to know if it was a Green Mountain Ry. or a Rutland car in 1959. Can anyone help with this?
TIA Walt

In a message dated 1/10/2020 10:49:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, claus@... writes:

[...]

Thanks to Google I just found that Rutland would have been correct into 1963. I should have thought of Google sooner but didn't think of the question until I was typing the rest of my reply. Sorry about that.
Walt

In a message dated 1/11/2020 1:50:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, WaltGCox@... writes:

[...]

Walt,

I have an October 1958 ORER. Rutland still had 26 of the 2700-series in revenue service, and I don't know how many in company service.

The Green Mountain Railroad dates from 1964, so I have no information about it (though some photos of recent vintage). Since this line was owned by Nelson Blount, also the founder of Steamtown in its original incarnation, there is no wonder how Rutland 2777 ended up in the modern Steamtown museum collection.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Garth Groff wrote:

Walt,

I have an October 1958 ORER. Rutland still had 26 of the 2700-series in revenue service, and I don't know how many in company service.

The Green Mountain Railroad dates from 1964, so I have no information about it (though some photos of recent vintage). Since this line was
owned by Nelson Blount, also the founder of Steamtown in its original incarnation, there is no wonder how Rutland 2777 ended up in the
modern Steamtown museum collection.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

    This is absolutely correct Garth. The only thing I don't recall, and can't find my roster to check, is how many of the #2700 flats the GMRC
ended up with as I believe the Vermont Rwy. got a few as well. The GMRC also got at least one of the older, straight side sill Rutland flat cars.
I knew Nelson Blount and drove within 2 miles of his place on my way home in August of 1967 when he was killed. The GMRC and Steamtown
were totally separated  shortly thereafter with Robert W. Adams heading up the GMRC employee group that acquired the railroad from Ne;son's
estate. Over the years I also worked for the GMRC as a relief passenger trainman, later as relief fireman for Steamtown for which later still I
served as the insurance agent. The falling out that occurred between the State of Vermont and Steamtown in the late 1970's is a shame from
which I do not feel Steamtown has ever recovered, nor have I been at all impressed by the many losses and lack of very much real progress
since it was moved and became the Scranton Scrapyard. Others may view it differently but that's the way I see it. If it was going to move I
believe strongly that the Kingston, NY choice also contemplated would have been a far better choice in the long run.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Don,

Your recollections are very interesting. I cannot agree or disagree with your assessment of the current Steamtown musuem. I do know that it has been something of a political football in recent years, and nearly faced closure. I know nothing of the New York location you mentioned, but do think the Scranton site while Scranton is hardly a tourist mecca) has certain access advantages, being on a major N/S freeway, plus it has the advantage of a very nice piece of track for their trains to play on.

When we visited Steamtown a few years back, my sweetheart and I stayed in the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel. Cushy and expensive, but definitely a class act, and a worthy reuse of a noble old building.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆