Topics

SAL, ex-GF&A ARA XM-1 Box Cars

Scott H. Haycock

I just pulled this F&C kit, #8081, WofA, out my stash to work on. My plan is to turn it into the GF&A version, then letter it for the SAL as it would have looked after 1944.

Originally, when I came up with this idea, I did my research, collected everything I'll need- Kit, Trucks, Decals, a photo ... Oops! no photo. I know there is a photo of one of these cars in GF&A livery in RPC 19, pg. 42, But I don't have this book anymore. And I cant find a scan either, though I'm pretty sure I took one. I thought I had a photo of one of these cars in SAL lettering as well, but it's not in my modeling notes. If anyone can point me at a photo or two I'd appreciate it.

My main concern at this time however, is the roof. I need to replace the model's roof with a Hutchin's roof.  I could really use a good photo or better yet a drawing of this roof.

Thanks for any help,

Scott Haycock

O Fenton Wells

Scott, trying to help you and on page 42 of my RPC vol 19 is a Wabash box (NJI&I #4145)  Let me know where else to look
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Don Burn

Page 45 of RPC 19.

Don Burn

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 6:16 AM Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@... <mailto:shhaycock@...> > wrote:

[...]

@srrfan <mailto:@srrfan>

Don Burn

Correction,

RPC 18.

Don Burn

[...]

Tim O'Connor

On 3/4/2020 10:20 AM, Don Burn wrote:
Correction,

RPC 18.

Don Burn

[...]

*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Bill Welch

Edited

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 06:16 AM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:

My main concern at this time however, is the roof. I need to replace the model's roof with a Hutchin's roof.  I could really use a good photo or better yet a drawing of this roof.
Thanks for any help,
Scott Haycock
Scott I would suggest purchasing an Undec Accrual 8-panel SS box car with composite ends and cut their beautiful Hutchins roof off. The advantage of that body is there a flange that helps to guide a saw blade. You may need to widen the roof but any filler will be hidden but the Running Board. I have done this 3-4 times and never regretted it.

Bill Welch

Benjamin Hom

Bill Welch wrote:
"Scott I would suggest purchasing an Undec Accurail 8-panel SS box car with composite ends and cut their beautiful Hutchins roof off."

Better yet, buy one of the foobies and cut the roof off.  You'll get the roof, plus get that model off the streets.  Here's a prime candidate:
http://www.accurail.com/accurail/art/4500/4501.jpg

;)

Ben Hom

Bill Welch

Edited

Hi Scott, looks like Ben is going to buy a kit for you to harvest the roof, what a guy!

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

Buy all you want. We can still make 'em faster than you can buy 'em! :-)

Dennis Storzek

Tom Madden

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 03:05 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
Buy all you want. We can still make 'em faster than you can buy 'em! :-)

Another advantage of injection molding over resin casting.

Tom Madden

Paul Woods <paul@...>

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 02:29 PM, Tom Madden wrote:

Another advantage of injection molding over resin casting.

Tom Madden

[Speaking mostly tongue-in-cheek]: A significant disadvantage of injection moulding is, having plowed huge $$$ into an injection-moulding die, it becomes very difficult for a manufacturer to resist putting Foobie paint jobs on models to increase their return.  I completely understand the need for this, and many purchasers don't mind anyway, but I have to say it really stings when I spend good money on what I think is an accurate model (not in HO, by the way, I model in O), only to find it never existed.  It would be handy if manufacturers put a little unicorn symbol on their advertising beside the foobie paint jobs i.e. 'This one belongs in a fairy tale'.

Actually, come to think of it, advertising for the schemes that could be called 90%-100% accurate probably should include a picture of that classic child's equine ride-on nursery toy with a little brown pile behind it, because they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo!

Paul Woods

Donald B. Valentine

Re: SAL, ex-GF&A ARA XM-1 Box Cars
From: Tom Madden
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 14:29:45 PST

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 03:05 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:

Buy all you want. We can still make 'em faster than you can buy 'em! :-)

Another advantage of injection molding over resin casting.

Tom Madden

The ONLY advantage of injection molding over resin casting.

Don Valentine