Topics

Sandy Valley and Elkhorn steel gondola

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I like this view of a Sandy Valley and Elkhorn steel gondola. It is labeled as part of the B&O system.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

mel perry

that BR&P can't still be in active service?
mel perry

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020, 12:52 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,

I like this view of a Sandy Valley and Elkhorn steel gondola. It is labeled as part of the B&O system.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Benjamin Hom

Mel Perry wrote:
"that BR&P [gon] can't still be in active service?"

Why not?  The photo is dated 1912, and you can make out rails through the weeds.

Ben Hom

mel perry

the photo date was not visible (cell)
thanks for the correction
mel perry

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020, 1:09 PM Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
Mel Perry wrote:
"that BR&P [gon] can't still be in active service?"

Why not?  The photo is dated 1912, and you can make out rails through the weeds.

Ben Hom

erieblt2

I always try to ballast my track(yard, industrial trackage, sidings) like the dirt shown in this fascinating photo. It makes my (mediocre-compared to cars on this site!) look much better. The junk everywhere is interesting also-as well as the gondolas. Bill S

Mel Perry wrote:
"that BR&P [gon] can't still be in active service?"

Why not?  The photo is dated 1912, and you can make out rails through the weeds.

Ben Hom

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Mel, Ben, and List Members,

The BR&P wood gondola looks like it is well cared for and still in very good condition.

The Sandy Valley and Elkhorn steel gondola looks like it just came from the factory a week ago! Sadly, I can only read “CSCo 7-“ as the builders info – the year is not visible.

Claus Schlund

"that BR&P [gon] can't still be in active service?"

Why not?  The photo is dated 1912, and you can make out rails through the weeds.

Ben Hom

Eric Hansmann

It sure would be in a photo dated 1912!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

that BR&P can't still be in active service?

mel perry

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020, 12:52 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

I like this view of a Sandy Valley and Elkhorn steel gondola. It is labeled as part of the B&O system.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

The junk is there as a materials yard. Work has just begun on a new bridge to connect the north shore of the Allegheny River with the Point in Pittsburgh. The bridge would be named the Manchester Bridge and is the dividing point where the Allegheny becomes the Ohio River.

The tracks here are also part of the BR&P southern freight terminal on the B&O Allegheny Yard branch. This is a small, shared yard with the B&O, the School Street Yard. The BR&P has a couple of team tracks back there and shared loco facilities are behind the photographer to the right. Beyond the new bridge construction is the B&O Smokey Island yard which was a larger classification yard. I feel the School Street yard was mainly for arrivals and departures from other B&O yards in the region.

This link takes you to the Historic Pittsburgh map that overlays 1923 Hopkins plat maps on the area. You should land close to the point or in the Allegheny River.

https://arcg.is/1bWmm8

There are different layers to explore featuring earlier maps and later aerial images.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN