Topics

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

Bob Chaparro

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

A photo from the Kansas Historical Society:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/51765

Click on the photo to enlarge it, then click on the "Enlarge" button to further enlarge it.

Caption: "Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe manifest train (a fast freight train hauling perishables or livestock) with caboose ATSF 1810 brining up the rear of the train. This photograph was taken in the high desert of California near the Mohave River near Victorville, California by R. C. Bradley for AT&SF."

Does anyone know what are the loads on the six flat cars ahead of the three tank cars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

vapeurchapelon

Hello Bob,

to me it looks as these are two rows of whine barrels.

Greetings

Johannes
modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 20. Februar 2020 um 20:26 Uhr
Von: "Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io" <chiefbobbb@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

A photo from the Kansas Historical Society:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/51765

Click on the photo to enlarge it, then click on the "Enlarge" button to further enlarge it.

Caption: "Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe manifest train (a fast freight train hauling perishables or livestock) with caboose ATSF 1810 brining up the rear of the train. This photograph was taken in the high desert of California near the Mohave River near Victorville, California by R. C. Bradley for AT&SF."

Does anyone know what are the loads on the six flat cars ahead of the three tank cars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

Or depth charges!  LOL

Todd Sullivan

Bruce Smith

Bob,

Given the inability to enlarge the picture due to pixelation, I doubt that anyone will be able to answer that question. Some options that it might be:
- wood pipe
- wood tank (barrels seem unlikely as they usually had a taper at each end and this load does not appear to have that
- something wrapped in wood for protection, typically of bearing surfaces. I thought a large shaft, but the load would probably be too heavy for the cars it is loaded on.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Feb 20, 2020, at 1:26 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

A photo from the Kansas Historical Society:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/51765

Click on the photo to enlarge it, then click on the "Enlarge" button to further enlarge it.

Caption: "Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe manifest train (a fast freight train hauling perishables or livestock) with caboose ATSF 1810 brining up the rear of the train. This photograph was taken in the high desert of California near the Mohave River near Victorville, California by R. C. Bradley for AT&SF."

Does anyone know what are the loads on the six flat cars ahead of the three tank cars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

One possibility is coils of wire on large spools turned sideways. I've seen, or seen photos, of coils like this enclosed in boards that were banded around the wooden edges of the spools with metal straps. If any of you have Gregg's TRAINSHED CYCLOPEDIA No. 36 (or the 1919 CAR BUILDER'S DICTIONARY), look on page 1112, figure 93. This diagram is for large boiler sections, but the loading principle is similar and is the closest I can find.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:27 PM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

A photo from the Kansas Historical Society:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/51765

Click on the photo to enlarge it, then click on the "Enlarge" button to further enlarge it.

Caption: "Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe manifest train (a fast freight train hauling perishables or livestock) with caboose ATSF 1810 brining up the rear of the train. This photograph was taken in the high desert of California near the Mohave River near Victorville, California by R. C. Bradley for AT&SF."

Does anyone know what are the loads on the six flat cars ahead of the three tank cars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Paul Woods

Hi Folks

A clue to the nature of the loads lies in the wood sheathing; whatever it is requires substantial protection from mechanical damage.  Spools of wire makes good sense, especially if it is something like high-tension electrical cable which does not have insulation.  High quality steel cable such as used with cranes and elevators is another possibility.  A long shot would be specially finished metal liners for a very large diesel engine as found in ships, or maybe the sleeves used in large bearings.  Having worked as a mechanical engineer designing ships, I have seen cylinder liners larger than what would fit in those wood drums, and overseen the manufacture of bearings nearly that big for tugboats' towing winches.  However, I would have thought that steel cable or cylinder liners would require protection from water so they would be in a boxcar or at least covered with tarpaulins, so my money is on electrical cable because copper won't corrode much during the journey.

Whatever is inside, those drums make a great load for a flatcar!

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ.
NYCSHS #7172

Brad Andonian

They seem like racks of ties that fit into retorts for creosoting..

Here's an enlargement of 2 of the mystery load cars. Details aren't clear enough to tell what kind of loads these are, but there's 2 per car.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Greg Martin

I guess it really doesn't matter if you simply built them and use them as an open load., does it. great conversation piece. Could be just about any round load.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

Sent from AOL Desktop

In a message dated 2/20/2020 11:27:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, chiefbobbb@... writes:

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

A photo from the Kansas Historical Society:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/51765

Click on the photo to enlarge it, then click on the "Enlarge" button to further enlarge it.

Caption: "Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe manifest train (a fast freight train hauling perishables or livestock) with caboose ATSF 1810 bringing up the rear of the train. This photograph was taken in the high desert of California near the Mohave River near Victorville, California by R. C. Bradley for AT&SF."

--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin

Matthew Metoyer

The location appears to be Frost, immediately after the flyover, so this train is eastbound. What businesses in the LA area would ship something like this?

Matthew Metoyer
Santa Maria CA

In a message dated 2/20/2020 11:27:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io writes:

[...]

tyesac@aol.com

They appear to have wheels under each one, so, I wonder if these are something like a towed pneumatic compressor, or a heavy duty hydraulic pump.  Sunshine had a kit load for something like these, however those were single axle carts covered by square wooden shipping hoods.   A modeler would be able to create a similar looking load by just modeling the tires,wheels, axles tow hitch with some kind of plank hood.  Correct AAR blocking & tie downs would make it more convincing.   Signage painted on the plank covering would be a mystery for now though, beyond a "do not hump" placard.

Tom Casey

[...]

Allen Cain

Looks like it could be wooden tank cars that were used to transport Vinegar and other such acidic products.  Attached is a couple of photos of these cars.  THe Speas Co Vinegar car looks the most like what you have in your photo.

Allen Cain

Tim O'Connor

To me it appears that each car has 8 individual objects of perhaps 10 to 12 feet in length.

I don't think they are wine barrels, or pickle barrels, or vinegar tanks, or railroad ties.

Bruce's suggestion of wood pipe seems wrong for the era of the picture (although I do have
images of ATSF flats loaded with wood pipe decades earlier) but something WRAPPED in wood seems
quite possible.

It's an official ATSF photo so perhaps it was a very special shipment. I have some amazing
shots of weird (and probably uncommon) loads on flat cars.

Tim O'Connor

On 2/20/2020 3:08 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

There were 2 "tanks" on each flat car. Have to agree that those loads were redwood pipes since they were in such extensive use back then.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Rich Yoder

Hi Bob,

It’s only a guess but could it be rolls of steel? The flats appear to be heavy duty. Can anyone identify them?

Rich Yoder

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

A photo from the Kansas Historical Society:

https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/51765

Click on the photo to enlarge it, then click on the "Enlarge" button to further enlarge it.

Caption: "Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe manifest train (a fast freight train hauling perishables or livestock) with caboose ATSF 1810 brining up the rear of the train. This photograph was taken in the high desert of California near the Mohave River near Victorville, California by R. C. Bradley for AT&SF."

Does anyone know what are the loads on the six flat cars ahead of the three tank cars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

I thought having tank cars next to caboose was not allowed... so?

Gordon Spalty

Bruce Smith

Gordon,

That would specify cargos, not cars ;)  For example, a tank car full of water (not unusual on the AT&SF) would pose no hazard.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Feb 26, 2020, at 7:32 AM, Doc Bond <boomer1944@...> wrote:

I thought having tank cars next to caboose was not allowed... so?

Gordon Spalty

Tony Thompson

Gordon Spalty wrote:

I thought having tank cars next to caboose was not allowed... so?

       True today,  not true in the period of this list (on most railroads).

Tony Thompson