Topics

Santa Fe Freight Near Victorville - Mystery Loads

ford.donald77

the containers look some thing like parts for airplanes or some other kind of ordnance. The Marine supply depot is far for Victorville
Don Ford
Cameron MO

On Saturday, February 22, 2020, 09:16:11 PM CST, Bruce A. Metcalf <bruce.metcalf@...> wrote:

On 2/21/20 7:53 AM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:

> It is true the details are not clear enough, but to my eyes it looks
> like there are eight per car, arranged 4 long by 2 wide. each of the
> eight load items appears to have the wood secured with two dark black bands

Aha! Now I know what these look like. I think they are bundles of
untreated ties ready to be put into the creosote retorts.

I lived in Chattanooga when they still had a creosoting plant. Ties,
line poles, and what not were bundled so they would nearly fill the
cylindrical tanks. Any number of them would be rolled in on wee
four-wheel carts, the end cap bolted on, and the creosote pumped in and
out using pressure and vacuum. Stinky, but effective.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Cheers,
/ Bruce /

ford.donald77

That should be not far from Victorville