Topics

Santa GFe "Buy War Bonds" lettering, was N&W Boxcar 47302 (Round Roof)

Donald B. Valentine

Does anyone offer decals for a whole Santa Fe car that includes the "Buy War Bonds" slogan? while
anything but a Pennsy fan I have always appreciated things like that slogan on an appropriate car as
a way to help delineate the period of a model railroad more quickly than some other methods.

Why did the Santa Fe so quickly start removing the slogan? I doubt the Pennsy, or anyone else,
could have copyrighted such a slogan, especially during the war, so why was a decision made to
remove it?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Allan Smith

Microscale decal sheet 87-1512 for C&EI has a Buy more War Bonds slogan. But is different from the Santa Fe slogan. I have added the slogan to a Bx-36 I kitbashed using Railroad Roman lettering.  Athearn had a set of two boxcars in a special edition #2330. Of course those where regular athearn 40' boxcars. Your best bet for a Bx-36 is a sunshine kit or you could try the may articles in the model magazines. If real serious about a kitbash I have photos of Wx-36 cars in MOW service I took in Riverbank in 1972.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 07:09:47 AM PDT, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Does anyone offer decals for a whole Santa Fe car that includes the "Buy War Bonds" slogan? while
anything but a Pennsy fan I have always appreciated things like that slogan on an appropriate car as
a way to help delineate the period of a model railroad more quickly than some other methods.

Why did the Santa Fe so quickly start removing the slogan? I doubt the Pennsy, or anyone else,
could have copyrighted such a slogan, especially during the war, so why was a decision made to
remove it?

Cordially, Don Valentine

James SANDIFER

It was added for the war. It was removed when the war was over.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Does anyone offer decals for a whole Santa Fe car that includes the "Buy War Bonds" slogan? while

anything but a Pennsy fan I have always appreciated things like that slogan on an appropriate car as

a way to help delineate the period of a model railroad more quickly than some other methods.

Why did the Santa Fe so quickly start removing the slogan? I doubt the Pennsy, or anyone else,

could have copyrighted such a slogan, especially during the war, so why was a decision made to

remove it?

Cordially, Don Valentine

WILLIAM PARDIE

I recall a very good multi page article on the Bx36's In either Rail Model Journal or Model Railroading back when Sunshine released their kit.  Does anyone recall the issue?

Bill Pardie

[...]

Bruce Smith

Very few cars with slogans lasted more than a year or two beyond the end of the war on any railroad including the PRR. And yes, nobody owned the slogan "Buy War Bonds". It appeared on the cars of many railroads during the war, and on many other surfaces as well.

Bruce Smith

It was added for the war. It was removed when the war was over.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Does anyone offer decals for a whole Santa Fe car that includes the "Buy War Bonds" slogan? while

anything but a Pennsy fan I have always appreciated things like that slogan on an appropriate car as

a way to help delineate the period of a model railroad more quickly than some other methods.

Why did the Santa Fe so quickly start removing the slogan? I doubt the Pennsy, or anyone else,

could have copyrighted such a slogan, especially during the war, so why was a decision made to

remove it?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Rick Woods

Here is a link to a good article on the history of WWII War Bonds (aka "Series E" bonds):
https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1682.html
War Bond sales ended when the war ended.  The final deposit into the U.S. Treasury of war bond proceeds occurred January 3, 1946.  The Series E bonds were withdrawn in 1980, replaced by today's Series EE bonds.
Fun fact:  More than 85 million Americans — half the population — purchased bonds totaling $185.7 billion.  In today's dollars that amounts to $2.44 TRILLION!  Can you imagine that happening today, even from a population that is 232% greater that of 1946?!

--
Rick Woods
New York Central Kankakee Belt (aka "The Streator Connection")

Norm Buckhart

Don - Protocraft has one Buy War Bonds set in HO - you may be able to cobble it into what you are trying to do. Norm Buckhart

On Sep 19, 2019, at 7:09 AM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Does anyone offer decals for a whole Santa Fe car that includes the "Buy War Bonds" slogan? while
anything but a Pennsy fan I have always appreciated things like that slogan on an appropriate car as
a way to help delineate the period of a model railroad more quickly than some other methods.

Why did the Santa Fe so quickly start removing the slogan? I doubt the Pennsy, or anyone else,
could have copyrighted such a slogan, especially during the war, so why was a decision made to
remove it?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bob Chaparro

A close-up look (photo by Jack Delano) at the slogan on a Santa Fe boxcar.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

mopacfirst

So now a modeler's question -- how was it painted over? Did the repainted cars have a roughly rectangular irregular blob?

After the end of this list, I have seen cars with the Chief slogan with 'All Pullman' painted out, and later some S&T cars with 'and Travel' painted out.  Seems to me that it was done without masking.

Ron Merrick