Scalecoat II Metallic Paint Question

Nelson Moyer

I’ve been mixing Scalecoat II two parts paint to 1 part Scalecoat II thinner and spraying at 20 psi with a gravity feed Iwata with a E3 tip and needle. Today I mixed a small amount of Scalecoat II Aluminum from a new bottle according to my usual practice, and it clotted in the cup. I had to completely disassemble the airbrush to clean it – the first time for that in over ten years of painting. What’s the secret to painting with Scalecoat II metallic paints? I’ve used Tru Color metallic with incident.

Nelson Moyer

John Sykes III

Sounds like a mix-up of ScaleCoat I and ScaleCoat II.  I'm not blaming you, the quality control at ScaleCoat has left a lot to be desired recently.  Some colors have changed completely.

-- John

Nelson Moyer

If it’s a bottling problem, and I have Scalecoat I in a bottle labeled Scalecoat II, that's easy to fix, because I have Scalecoat I thinner, and I can run a test.

I tried thinning with lacquer thinner and got the same curdling that I got with Scalecoat II thinner.

I also got a bottle of Boxcar Red #2 that dried dead flat. Wasn’t expecting that!

Thanks for the tip.

Nelson Moyer

Sounds like a mix-up of ScaleCoat I and ScaleCoat II.  I'm not blaming you, the quality control at ScaleCoat has left a lot to be desired recently.  Some colors have changed completely.

-- John

John Sykes III

OK, I give up😒