Topics

SE meat reefers-- Pork Producers

glw@...

Warren,
I think you will find that Iowa is still the number 1 pork producer
in this country with North Carolina running a close second. And if
you want to see a stock yard. Look up the Omaha Stockyards in
addition there were at least 6 meat processing facilities in the
immediate area. And was served by 7 different railroads.

George
Treynor, Iowa

--- In STMFC@y..., ibs4421@c... wrote:
Guys,
FWIW, the Frosty Morn' Packing Plant in Clarksville, TN was
served by the Tennessee Central RR. back then clarksvilleprobably
wasn't any larger than 35,000 in population.
It would seem that ya'll are only talking about beef. Tennessee
and Kentucky for many years were the nations leading producers of
pork. Now, I know that pork,in its salted form does not need
refrigeration, but many hams are not cured that way, plus you have
other cuts of the hog. What about chicken? Surely there were city
pukes in the likes of Atlanta, Nshville, B'ham., etc. that bought
chicken products from a store.

Warren Dickinson
Card-Carrying Rube

ibs4421@...

George, from the land of "My State Fair" observed:

Warren,
I think you will find that Iowa is still the number 1 pork producer
in this country

And:
with North Carolina running a close second.

George,
Yes, that is now. Please note that I said:

"Tennessee
> and Kentucky for many years were the nations leading producers of
> pork. "

My written source is a book entitiled "Hogmeat and Hoecake" detailing agriculture and foodways in the Antebellum South along with 2+ years as an interpretive historian at an agricultural museum and living history farm where my mamger was a fine historian who grew up . . .in. . IOWA, lol. I am quite sure that during the period of our interest, and I'm taking steam-era to mean from the mid-nineteenth cent. to 1960, that they were still significant producers.

And if
you want to see a stock yard. Look up the Omaha Stockyards in
addition there were at least 6 meat processing facilities in the
immediate area. And was served by 7 different railroads.

George
Treynor, Iowa

True enough George, but I took the gist of the question to mean that individual was trying to figure out what might, or might not, have been seen in the South insofar as what might be reasonably and realistically modeled. If I wanted to know where the largest facility was, I would have definately picked Omaha as one of my choices.

Warren Dickinson