Topics

Seeking Photo of Penn Salt ACF Type 21 Tank Car

Dave Parker

I have a Wathers P2000 Type 21 in Pennsylvania Salt Mfg. Co. livery, PSMX 714, with a build date of 1/28 (photo attached).  I thought I had a photo that confirmed the paint scheme, but I don't.  There are very similar schemes on some contemporaneous PSMX specialty cars for sulfuric acid and liquid chlorine, but the model is a conventional Spec III 8000-gal Type 21.

Does anybody know of a prototype photo that corresponds to the model's paint scheme?  The closest I have found is the attached photo for ACF lot 377, which has an "unusual" paint job to say the least.  Better candidates for a car built in early 1928 seem to be ACF lots 540 or 582.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Allan Smith

PSMX 714  The photo of this car is in American Car and Foundry 1899-1999 by Edward S Kaminski on page 71.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Sunday, June 7, 2020, 12:01:34 PM PDT, Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...> wrote:

I have a Wathers P2000 Type 21 in Pennsylvania Salt Mfg. Co. livery, PSMX 714, with a build date of 1/28 (photo attached).  I thought I had a photo that confirmed the paint scheme, but I don't.  There are very similar schemes on some contemporaneous PSMX specialty cars for sulfuric acid and liquid chlorine, but the model is a conventional Spec III 8000-gal Type 21.

Does anybody know of a prototype photo that corresponds to the model's paint scheme?  The closest I have found is the attached photo for ACF lot 377, which has an "unusual" paint job to say the least.  Better candidates for a car built in early 1928 seem to be ACF lots 540 or 582.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Dave Parker

Thanks Allan!  I only have Kaminski's tank car book, but I should be able to track that one down without a problem.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Allan Smith