Topics

SFRD Questions

gary laakso

Here is a picture of a SFRD reefer:

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Emil-Albrecht-Photos/1944-May-Troop-Train-East/i-fGFffC8/A

  1. Did all SFRD reefers have the ladder legs curl under the body and
  2. The uncoupling lever support is drilled over the push pole pocket was this common and I missed it?

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Robert J Miller CFA

Gary,

I don’t know for certain, but I looked through the Santa Fe Society’s Refrigerator book to look for examples.

On the RR-8 (wood sides and ends) the ladders conform to the shape noted, however the uncoupling lever support is just to the right of the poling pocket and slightly above it. P 108 in the book

RR-19 rebuilds (metal sides and ends) the ladders conform to the shaped noted and the uncoupling lever support is above the poling pocket. P. 132 in the book.

RR-36 rebuilds (metal sides and ends) the ladders curl in at the top, but not at the bottom and the uncoupling lever support is below the poling pocket. P 148 in the book.

It looks like the answer will vary by the age and class of the cars. If you have a specific class of car in mind let me know and I will check the SFH&MS book.

  1. Did all SFRD reefers have the ladder legs curl under the body and
  2. The uncoupling lever support is drilled over the push pole pocket was this common and I missed it?

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Is that a foot step under where the ladder is curled under.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Bruce Smith

Andy,

Yes, these are classic sill steps for a rebuilt car where the body is wider than the old under frame. The most likely explanation for the ladder ends is that they are bent under to prevent snagging brake men's clothing due to the location of the sill step.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Is that a foot step under where the ladder is curled under.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Bruce Smith

Gary,

The brake lever location is relatively common with top acting uncoupling devices, at least on rebuilt cars (note that this is a rebuilt USRA reefer, iirc.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

#1 Yes

#2 Yes

J. Stephen Sandifer

  1. Did all SFRD reefers have the ladder legs curl under the body and
  2. The uncoupling lever support is drilled over the push pole pocket was this common and I missed it?

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

gary laakso

Thank you Jim and Bruce.