Sharper rescan of tank car photo uploaded

tgmadden <tgmadden@...>

Richard wrote:
Maybe if Tom can sharpen up the scan a bit more, some other data will
become visible.

Oh, all right. I followed Garth's advice and applied "unsharp mask" in
Photoshop, and the results are at
http://home.att.net/~tgmadden/Ren2.jpg

If I processed it further, the image began to fall apart.

I clipped out the top part of the picture but it's still slightly larger
than the unprocessed one.

Comments and hints appreciated. The image ain't bad, from a 35mm Kodachrome
slide. You can even count the rivets on the cars in the foreground. Not to
mention see the individual telltale wires.

Tom

Richard Hendrickson

Richard wrote:
Maybe if Tom can sharpen up the scan a bit more, some other data will
become visible.

Oh, all right. I followed Garth's advice and applied "unsharp mask" in
Photoshop, and the results are at
http://home.att.net/~tgmadden/Ren2.jpg
Somewhat better, Tom - remarkably good, in fact, considering that the
original is a 35 mm transparency - but I couldn't make out anything more of
significance.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tom,

The unsharp mask command tends to sharpen clumps of pixels, especially
dark areas. It doesn't always work, especially if the image is already
grainy. You can usually choose the intensity and radius of the
sharpening. I think your second try was too splotchy. Maybe a lower
setting would have been better. It will take a bit of practice, and an
experienced eye to decide when and how much to use it.

The general sharpening tool sharpens lines and edges. It tends to make
diagonal lines jagged, and is especially problematic on 3/4 equipment
shots and for steam locomotive rods and handrails. General sharpening
has its place too, and can be used in combination with the unsharp mask.

Sorry for forgetting to say this, but congratulations on your new
grandchild.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff