Shifted lumber load on SP flat

Group,

Another photo found from Bob's initial link,

Partial shot of an SP F-50-12 flat car with shifted lumber load. Description says UP flat car but looks pretty clear to me to
be an SP F-50-12 flat car. This is one version of the Owl Mountain car kit. Can zoom in quite a lot for detail.

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/detail/ahcludwig~1~1~3435535~306897?qvq=q%3Alumber&mi=27&trs=563

Dan Smith

Tim O'Connor

Definitely an SP flat! :-)

On 6/19/2021 5:58 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
Group,

Another photo found from Bob's initial link,

Partial shot of an SP F-50-12 flat car with shifted lumber load. Description says UP flat car but looks pretty clear to me to
be an SP F-50-12 flat car. This is one version of the Owl Mountain car kit. Can zoom in quite a lot for detail.

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/detail/ahcludwig~1~1~3435535~306897?qvq=q%3Alumber&mi=27&trs=563

Dan Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts

Eric Hansmann

That car has a bottom pin pull Carmer lever. I can’t recall seeing this type of application.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jun 19, 2021, at 4:58 AM, Dan Smith <espeefan@...> wrote:

Group,

Another photo found from Bob's initial link,

Partial shot of an SP F-50-12 flat car with shifted lumber load. Description says UP flat car but looks pretty clear to me to
be an SP F-50-12 flat car. This is one version of the Owl Mountain car kit. Can zoom in quite a lot for detail.

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/detail/ahcludwig~1~1~3435535~306897?qvq=q%3Alumber&mi=27&trs=563

Dan Smith

Brian Stokes

An interesting detail of the wedges used to secure the tapered posts in the stake pockets. They look to be driven in from the bottom to compensate for the taper on the posts perhaps?
--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48

WILLIAM PARDIE

I was able to extract the small photo of the truck on this photo but not the larger photo.  Any suggestions for a computer illiterate?

Bill Pardie

On Jun 21, 2021, at 6:20 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

The detail.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
<Stake_Detail_University_of_Wyoming.jpg>

fire5506

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 08:58 AM, Brian Stokes wrote:
An interesting detail of the wedges used to secure the tapered posts in the stake pockets. They look to be driven in from the bottom to compensate for the taper on the posts perhaps?
--
Brian Stokes
North Point Street in Proto:48
 By using a tapered post with a corresponding tapered wedge, when you drive the wedge in it tightens the post into the pocket tighter than you get it using a straight post, that way it doesn't lean out. The wedge is nailed so it cannot slip out if it happens to loosen.

Richard Webster