Topics

Shortening Kadee Running Board

Bruce Griffin

Friends,

I did a search of this and several lists and could not find an answer, has anyone ever shortened a Kadee running board? I am building a Rail Shop Carbon Black Hopper and want to replicate a 1948 build with an Apex running board. I would love to use a Kadee 50’ part and need to cut out 5’, presumably from the center in order to keep the end details in place.

Has anyone tried this or have suggestions that would make it easier? Photos? I know canopy glue is a good adhesive for adhering to supports and maybe I could make the joint over one. Thanks for your insights.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Tony Thompson

Bruce Griffin wrote:

Has anyone tried this or have suggestions that would make it easier? Photos? I know canopy glue is a good adhesive for adhering to supports and maybe I could make the joint over one.

Exactly what I would recommend, Bruce, but I haven't actually done it. It certainly ought to work.

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tony and Bruce,

I would love to go the other way and lengthen a Kadee 40' Morton running board to 50'. Most Western Pacific/Sacramento Northern/Tidewater Southern 50' PS-1s had Morton running boards, and I have a mess of these I would like to be more accurate.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Garth Groff

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 4:47 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
Bruce Griffin wrote:

Has anyone tried this or have suggestions that would make it easier? Photos? I know canopy glue is a good adhesive for adhering to supports and maybe I could make the joint over one.

Exactly what I would recommend, Bruce, but I haven't actually done it. It certainly ought to work.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Garth if you have not seen the MOLOCO 50 foot Morton running boards, you should
take a look at them. They have the correct rolled bottom flange found on none of the other
etched or plastic Morton running boards I've seen. (I admit I have not seen the Kadees.)
Plano simulated the flange on some of their covered hopper running boards - you glue the
flange precisely to the bottom of the edges of the rb.

Tim O'

On 2/27/2021 6:21 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Tony and Bruce,

I would love to go the other way and lengthen a Kadee 40' Morton running board to 50'. Most Western Pacific/Sacramento Northern/Tidewater Southern 50' PS-1s had Morton running boards, and I have a mess of these I would like to be more accurate.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Sterling, Massachusetts

Mont Switzer

Bruce,

As I detail my KATO covered hopper cars (dead nuts on for MONON) I apply Kadee running boards.

First, I use the 50 ft. size.  I slice off the corner platforms with a razor blade and cut the “trunk” of the running board to match what I am removing from the model.  I then reinstall the platforms in the proper locations using strip styrene to support them at the proper height.

Why 50 ft. long running boards?  Leaves plenty of material for platforms and such.  The leftovers also make great locomotive running boards.

Mont

I did a search of this and several lists and could not find an answer, has anyone ever shortened a Kadee running board? I am building a Rail Shop Carbon Black Hopper and want to replicate a 1948 build with an Apex running board. I would love to use a Kadee 50’ part and need to cut out 5’, presumably from the center in order to keep the end details in place.

Has anyone tried this or have suggestions that would make it easier? Photos? I know canopy glue is a good adhesive for adhering to supports and maybe I could make the joint over one. Thanks for your insights.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tim,

Thanks much. I have heard of Molco, but never used any of their products. Sounds like it's time to visit their website.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆