From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of al.kresse
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 10:24 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Side-door Cabooses [was Why Transfer cabooses?]

This caboose had high speed trucks?  Would that allow for higher mixed-train speeds?

Al kresse

On May 24, 2018 at 9:37 AM "Ed Rethwisch via Groups.Io" <edreth1@...> wrote:

The CB&Q had a limited number of side door cabooses ( waycars) but one of the

side door cars was assigned to Fort Madison for many decades for branch line service.

Ed Rethwisch,

Steve and Barb Hile

This provides an interesting explanation on the situation that the Rock Island encountered when they converted a number of single sheathed boxcars to cabooses beginning in the late 1930s.  Most were shortened by removing most of the center section where the side door had been and were configured just the same as their standard double sheathed wood and steel cabooses.

However, twenty cars ultimately were left full length to be assigned to mixed train service, many of which were used in Iowa, home of dozens of RI branches.  For these cars, the body bolster was moved inboard to provide for passenger steps and a platform at one end (where there were a few coach seats and a small toilet enclosure.  The other end initially received only an crew access door between the vertical braces on the end.  See the photo for sale on eBay for how this looked.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-Island-RI-Outer-Braced-Caboose-17781-at-Topeka-KS-in-1941-8x10-Photo/302732824398?hash=item467c484f4e:g:kJYAAOSwY0lXS~Xw

Within a few years, a second platform was added at the crew end.  The bolster was not moved, so the crew used a three step ladder attached to the side sill.  See https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-Island-RI-Outer-Braced-Caboose-17772-8x10-Photo/302737143549?hash=item467c8a36fd:g:kB4AAOSwNSxVFQMY

I have been studying the branch from Cedar Rapids to Decorah which hosted a mixed train daily, each way in the 40's and 50's.  The southbound train had a 4 mile back up move to Postville, Iowa and I had speculated that was (maybe also) a reason for the addition of of a better crew platform on that end.

Steve Hile