Silica Sand

ted_culotta@...

Can anyone recommend a good source for something that looks like HO
scale silica sand?

Thanks in advance.

Ted Culotta

byronrose@...

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 05:06:10 -0000 ted_culotta@yahoo.com writes:
Can anyone recommend a good source for something that looks like HO
scale silica sand?

Thanks in advance.

Ted Culotta

Hi Ted,

Have you considered sanding real silica sand down to scale size?

Or do like they do to coal, put it in a sock and hit it with a hammer.
That should beat those little rascals down to size.

Glad to help.

BS
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

BillD53A@...

Get permission from the site superintendant first, around these parts, theft
from a construction site is a second-degree felony. It may just be a coffee
can full of sand to you, but it is still theft to other people.

tgmadden <tgmadden@...>

Byron wrote:
...... put it in a sock and hit it with a hammer.

I'd just as soon not even think about that.

1. Campbell included a small bag of something in their sand house kit. Yes,
I know that was supposed to represent traction sand and not silica sand, but
it looked pretty good.

2. One of the finer grades of aluminum oxide might work, although you
wouldn't want it loose around moving parts.

3. Ship it only in covered hoppers, which renders the point moot.

4. Make a shape of the pile/load of sand and "dry spray" it with an
appropriate color of Floquil. (Spray from too far away at too high a
pressure so the paint goes on grainy - an effect I get when I want it the
least.)

Tom M.

Moot moot!

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Some guys at the local train club when to a construction
site some years ago, and collected a few coffee cans of very
fine sand -- almost powdered. I have since noticed this type
of sand at a local housing construction site. I recommend if
there is any sandy soil in your area to go to such a site.
Very fine grain sand tends to blow around and collect where
it's easy to scoop up. It makes wonderful scenic material.

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@mediaone.net>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

Bill Schneider <branch@...>

Its so nice to get Byron's input on this list; I for one miss him on the
FCL.... :>)

How about Diatomaceous (sp?) earth, sold for pool filters. This stuff is
super fine, fairly cheap, comes in a large bag, and also works great for
sand areas on scenery (you ARE building another layout, aren't you
Ted?!) It can be mixed with dry artist's pigments to color it - its
natural state is white.

BTW, What size hammer would you recommend Lord Byron?

Bill Schneider

byronrose@juno.com wrote:

Hi Ted,

Have you considered sanding real silica sand down to scale size?

Or do like they do to coal, put it in a sock and hit it with a hammer.
That should beat those little rascals down to size.

Glad to help.

BS
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
[www.newaydirect.com]
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=170603.1361494.2950176.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700169725:N/A=613962/?http://www.newaydirect.com>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Bill is right - Diatomeous. . . swimming pool filter material makes great
sand and great dirt. As it is white, it can colored to any shade you want.
If you can't find dry colors, you could glue it down and paint it with any
paint, even Floquil. We made an entire beach out of it for our Lake George
scene. - John