Topics

silver SAL box cars

Tony Thompson

I'm sure there is someone on the list who can tell me when Seaboard starting painting some box cars silver, such as the Kadee PS-1 that is out there (could be after the time frame of this list). I would appreciate the help.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Ed Hawkins

On Jun 20, 2020, at 8:16 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

I'm sure there is someone on the list who can tell me when Seaboard starting painting some box cars silver, such as the Kadee PS-1 that is out there (could be after the time frame of this list). I would appreciate the help.

Tony,
I don’t know the earliest date when the silver paint began use. All I have to go by is a color photo of S.A.L. 25348 painted silver with red stencils done at JAX. 9-59. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

bigfourroad

Tony
I frequently refer to Paul Faulk's Color Guide to Seaboard Freight and Passenger equipment.  He says the SAL's policy was to paint boxcars according to their equipment and intended use. The silver cars were beer cars with insulated roofs as class XMI and the last series of PS-1's was built in 1952 carrying numbers 25000 to 25499.  Of these 47 had the roof insulation and red lettering and many were assigned to Tampa where there was a large brewery (cover and page 46 of Faulk's book available form SCLHS and other sources.) Caution as there were also gray cars in this builders lot that had Evans loaders for appliance service. The first PS-1's were ordered in 1948 starting with 24000 - 24499 and included gray cars assigned to bleached pulp service.  The next order was in 1951 for series 24500-24999. Sorry I can't bracket it tighter for you now it might be a matter of actually copying a prototype photo. Chris Rooney

Tim O'Connor

Tony

Cars with roof insulation (some 40 foot PS-1 box cars for example received 6" of roof insulation) were repainted
in aluminum [or silver] paint while other specialized cars received light gray paint. Ed's 1959 reference is the earliest
one I've ever heard of.

Tim O'

On 6/20/2020 10:08 PM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

On Jun 20, 2020, at 8:16 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

I'm sure there is someone on the list who can tell me when Seaboard starting painting some box cars silver, such as the Kadee PS-1 that is out there (could be after the time frame of this list). I would appreciate the help.

Tony,
I don’t know the earliest date when the silver paint began use. All I have to go by is a color photo of S.A.L. 25348 painted silver with red stencils done at JAX. 9-59. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Sterling, Massachusetts

golden1014

Silver SAL box cars were insulated box cars, often called “beer cars”.  Light gray cars were modified 1937 cars with roof hatches for cement loading.

John Golden

Tony Thompson

Thanks, John. My question was, WHEN were they painted silver?
Tony Thompson