Six-Wheel MW Trailers

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

One one of trips across the country I spotted these two stacked MW trailers in Colorado on the old D&RGW. The negative is, of course, undated and might be before the D&RGW/SP were taken over by the UP. Given the paint condition of the cars, I am betting they were D&RGW and date from well before either merger.

Obviously they are intended for heavy loads. I have another photo of anaother at Roseville in UP service with a large compressor or other piece of machinery on it. (Of course, I can't find the negative right now, but I spotted it a few days ago. Oy!).

Anybody know if these cars extended back into the steam era? They would make an interesting model.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

WILLIAM PARDIE

Seeing Garth's neat photo reminded me that I have a speeder in my pipeline earmarked for the SP.  Years ago Martin gave away  trailer kit at Naperville with decals for numerous railroads.  I have never seen a trailer for the SP.  Hoping that someone else might have.

Bill Pardie

Tim O'Connor

Here ya go Bill. :-)

On 5/8/2021 7:55 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:

Seeing Garth's neat photo reminded me that I have a speeder in my pipeline earmarked for the SP.  Years ago Martin gave away  trailer kit at Naperville with decals for numerous railroads.  I have never seen a trailer for the SP.  Hoping that someone else might have.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts