From: Dave Nelson <Lake_Muskoka@...>
Date: 12/28/20 10:12 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: STMFC <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] SLSF 53395

Large close up of loaded gondola, Chicago, late 40’s.

https://portal-ccc.s3.amazonaws.com/media/images/newberry/83/x05xj2r.jpg

Dave Nelson

Tim O'Connor

I'll guess 1948. :-)

A sharp photo.

On 12/28/2020 3:12 PM, Dave Nelson wrote:

Large close up of loaded gondola, Chicago, late 40’s.

https://portal-ccc.s3.amazonaws.com/media/images/newberry/83/x05xj2r.jpg

Dave Nelson

Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

Looks to me that the photo may have been taken on account of the upper layers sliding a little too freely, especially the far stack.

Schuyler

Large close up of loaded gondola, Chicago, late 40’s.

https://portal-ccc.s3.amazonaws.com/media/images/newberry/83/x05xj2r.jpg

Dave Nelson

Bob Chaparro

This same photo is available for free at the Newberry Library.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Guy Wilber

Dave Nelson wrote:

Large close up of loaded gondola, Chicago, late 40’s.”

The most glaring element of this load is the stakes.  They are laminated, each made up from what appears to be two 2” x 6” rough sawn boards.  The use of such stakes was not permissible until 1960.

The railroad has likely photographed the car to bolster their billing charges incurred for bringing the load into compliance.  The road which originally accepted the car is responsible for the cost of labor and materials.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

mopacfirst

Changing the focus of this thread slightly.  First thing I noticed is that most or all of the stenciling on the sides was done on steel sheet attached to the wooden car side.  Presumably this was done because the paint would stay readable longer if applied to steel instead of wood.

Ron Merrick

Eric Hansmann

At first glance, this looks like a USRA gondola, but it isn't. Dreadnaught ends were developed later and the Frisco USRA coal gons were originally in the 85000-85999 series.

This car might be a USRA-derived clone that was built later in the 1920s with the dreadnaught ends, or an original car has been rebuilt with the dreadnaught ends and renumbered. I don't know enough about the Frisco freigh car fleet to make a definitive statement.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 12/28/2020 6:21 PM Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Looks to me that the photo may have been taken on account of the upper layers sliding a little too freely, especially the far stack.

Schuyler

Large close up of loaded gondola, Chicago, late 40’s.

https://portal-ccc.s3.amazonaws.com/media/images/newberry/83/x05xj2r.jpg

Dave Nelson

Rich C

According to the RPI site:

  • In 1928-'29, the Frisco built more USRA-clones, in the 53100-53346 series (1928) and 53350-53647 series (1929), with Dreadnaught ends from Union Metal Products, Ajax hand brakes, and Bettendorf trucks. In 1949, the series was listed as 53100-53647 series, 491 cars.

Rich Christie

Eric Hansmann

Bingo! Thanks for the info, Rich.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 12/29/2020 5:00 PM Rich C via groups.io <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

According to the RPI site:

  • In 1928-'29, the Frisco built more USRA-clones, in the 53100-53346 series (1928) and 53350-53647 series (1929), with Dreadnaught ends from Union Metal Products, Ajax hand brakes, and Bettendorf trucks. In 1949, the series was listed as 53100-53647 series, 491 cars.

Rich Christie
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#180528) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [eric@...]

_._,_._,

Bill Keene

Thank you Rich for the for the SLSF 53395 class info. Modeling one of these cars will be on my future fleet modeling list.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Dec 29, 2020, at 4:00 PM, Rich C via groups.io <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

According to the RPI site:

  • In 1928-'29, the Frisco built more USRA-clones, in the 53100-53346 series (1928) and 53350-53647 series (1929), with Dreadnaught ends from Union Metal Products, Ajax hand brakes, and Bettendorf trucks. In 1949, the series was listed as 53100-53647 series, 491 cars.

Rich Christie

Rich C

You guys are quite welcome. I mentioned to Eric, I have a few undecorateds in my stash too, and this one fills a need for me too.

Rich Christie