Topics

SN Tank Car MW 68

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Good Friends,

While working through scanning Sacramento Northern negatives shot by the late Kenneth Jenkins, I came to the tank car below. This car is something of a puzzle, particularly its original builder. I'm open to any suggestions as to its origins (I know it is not an AC&F car as Ed Kaminski told me it wasn't a few years back).

SN MW 68 was one of three tanks purchased used in 1937. I am not certain, but United Commercial, a vendor of used equipment, may have been the source. AFE records show them as 7,500 gallon cars, but the actual capacity of this car is 7,923 gallons (could that dome hold 423 gallons?). There is a large wooden box added to the top of the tank, which apparently held a gasoline pump and hoses. The lettering on the frame of the first photo seems to give a build date of 1/05.

The first photo is by Will Whittaker (negative also in my collection), and shows the car when new to the SN, circa 1938 (repack date).

The second view is the Jenkins shot, and since it clearly has AB brakes, that means it is post-1955. AB brakes were added on AFE 27-54 dated 8/8/55.

I have only seen one photo of one of the other tanks from this lot, and I can't say if they were all the same. What frustrates me today is that I saw one of these cars on the deadline in West Sacramento about 1967. I only took a photo of the car next to it (a burned out caboose), and that photo tantalizingly shows just the tank's end without enough information to be useful. Oy! But hey, I was only 16. Kids do dumb things.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

David

This car is something of a puzzle, particularly its original builder. I'm open to any suggestions as to its origins (I know it is not an AC&F car as Ed Kaminski told me it wasn't a few years back).
I have no idea why he said that. The car in the pics is pretty much a standard AC&F Type 4.

David Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

David,

My correspondence with Ed was several years ago. Perhaps he was only saying this wasn't an AC&F Type 7. I do remember he said AC&F never made any cars with this gallonage, but again, this may have only referred to Type 7s.

A Type 4 would fit the build date on the car in the Whittaker photo. Any idea where can we find more documentation, photos or drawings especially, on the Type 4?

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 10:57 AM David via Groups.Io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
> This car is something of a puzzle, particularly its original builder.
> I'm open to any suggestions as to its origins (I know it is not an
> AC&F car as Ed Kaminski told me it wasn't a few years back).

I have no idea why he said that. The car in the pics is pretty much a
standard AC&F Type 4.

David Thompson

Jim Betz

Garth,
  I don't have my ORERs where I can get at them (recent move).  Can't you
find out info about this car in them going by car number and "go from there"?
If you can find the car(s) you should also be able to learn builder, type, etc.
                                       - Jim B.