Topics

SNX 1609

Schuyler Larrabee

All,

Several years ago I bought, at Cocoa Beach, a 5th Avenue Car Shops, Accurail kit for a National Car Company reefer.  Now that it’s properly aged I thought I’d get to it and assemble it, adding appropriate details as I can.  But the first instruction is to paint the roof “silver.”

And that is my question.  What is meant by the term “silver?”   Silver as in the prototype was actually painted with silver paint?  Or is this a “galvanized roof color silver?”  The sides are lettered as “REBUILT PLT 1-52” which is also the last reweigh date, so this is a “new” car for my modeling purposes.

I have a mix I use for galvanized roofs which is part silver, part gray, and looks very good.  But I also have silver paint, and could use that.  In any event, it will get a dusting of loco exhaust (both, either, steam or diesel) and perhaps some light weathering, dust along the bottom edge mostly, along the sides and ends.

Oh, and while we’re at it, the supplied roof walk is wood, painted brown to match the ends (and underframe).  In ’52, would these cars have a metal roof walk?  Of what style?  And one more variable, should the roof walk be painted silver, too?  And is that a “depends on whether it’s wood or metal” question?

And what may be a minor point: Where was “PLT” ?

Thanks for the assistance I know this list can provide.

Schuyler

John Barry

Schuyler,

I can't answer the color question, but referencing the Station & Reweigh Symbols spreadsheet previously discussed shows PLT to be the symbol for Plattsmouth, NE.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 12:22:38 PM EDT, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

[...]

I should have added that it was an FGEX reweigh symbol.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 12:32:04 PM EDT, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

[...]

Good start on the answers to the questions, thanks, John.

[...]

Bruce Smith

Schuyler,

In that era, there was a move on to paint refrigerator car roofs with silver colored paint to help reflect heat from the sun. So this should look different from your galvanized roofs.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Sep 3, 2020, at 11:22 AM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

[...]

That’s what I was thinking, and I appreciate the validation, but I’m seeking the collective wisdom of the crowd here.  I anticipate our thinking will be validated.

Still, would the roof walk be painted the same, wood? Metal?

[...]

StephenK

I don't know what your car looks like, but Accurail shows two National Packing cars on its website.   First there is this: http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8527.jpg with the large white herald.   The roof and ends are brown or box car red.   Then there is this:  http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8507.jpg, which, as you can see, has a silver roof.   Both these kits have metal roof walks.   The silver roof is silver paint on the model--not galvanized.

I have both of these cars and built them with only a few modifications:  uncoupling  levers, a revised center drop step to more closely match the prototype, and an improved roof walk on the silver roofed model.   They go together easily and look good on the rails.

Steve Kay

Schuyler Larrabee

I should have noted that the Accurail instructions in the box indicate that this is a 4800 series wood sided car.  But I do see that you’re showing a silver painted roof, not a galvanized color.  Thanks Steve,

Schuyler

I don't know what your car looks like, but Accurail shows two National Packing cars on its website.   First there is this: http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8527.jpg with the large white herald.   The roof and ends are brown or box car red.   Then there is this:  http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8507.jpg, which, as you can see, has a silver roof.   Both these kits have metal roof walks.   The silver roof is silver paint on the model--not galvanized.

I have both of these cars and built them with only a few modifications:  uncoupling  levers, a revised center drop step to more closely match the prototype, and an improved roof walk on the silver roofed model.   They go together easily and look good on the rails.

Steve Kay

Schuyler Larrabee

I should have also mentioned that the 5th Avenue Car Shops does custom printed cars, and they’re not part of the Accurail line.

Schuyler

I don't know what your car looks like, but Accurail shows two National Packing cars on its website.   First there is this: http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8527.jpg with the large white herald.   The roof and ends are brown or box car red.   Then there is this:  http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8507.jpg, which, as you can see, has a silver roof.   Both these kits have metal roof walks.   The silver roof is silver paint on the model--not galvanized.

I have both of these cars and built them with only a few modifications:  uncoupling  levers, a revised center drop step to more closely match the prototype, and an improved roof walk on the silver roofed model.   They go together easily and look good on the rails.

Steve Kay

Schuyler Larrabee

Ah!  Google has brought me to Tony Thompson’s blog post:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2016/04/upgrading-simple-freight-car-kit.html

Which answers several questions, including the Silver vs Galvanized issue.  He also added a number of details which I will emulate.  While he used a metal roof walk, since the kit I have is a wood sided car, I think the jury’s still out on whether I should convert to a metal walk?

Schuyler

[...]

Todd Sullivan

Hi Schuyler,

I'm not Bill Welch, but all of the photos I've seen of Our Companies' reefers with silver roofs show everything on the roof to be silver including the running board and laterals.  Hope this helps.

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

And that is my question.  What is meant by the term “silver?”   Silver as in the prototype was actually painted with silver paint?  Or is this a “galvanized roof color silver?”

     First, as Schuyler well knows, "silver" is a color, not necessarily referring to the metal. Aluminum paint has been around since the 1920s, and is indeed silvery. Fresh galvanized is pretty silvery too, but soon oxidizes to gray. My guess is that the FGEX / NX cars had alumni,-painted roofs. There must be paint and lettering diagrams around.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

Ah!  Google has brought me to Tony Thompson’s blog post:
Which answers several questions, including the Silver vs Galvanized issue.  He also added a number of details which I will emulate.  While he used a metal roof walk, since the kit I have is a wood sided car, I think the jury’s still out on whether I should convert to a metal walk?

     That's an era issue. After the 1944 outlawing of wood running boards on new construction (except tank cars), most owners with a little money did replace running boards whenever cars were in the shop. I would bet on FGE doing the same.

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Schuyler,

Mont Switzer wrote an article on FGEX family reefers in the March 2011 RMC. It is supposedly about a Kahn's reefer, but other cars are shown. One of his models is NX 6808. He did the roof in silver, and it appears that the running board is FCR.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 12:22 PM Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Bill Welch

First of all Plattsmouth was a Reweight station belonging to Burlington Refrigerator Express. Around 1951 the FGE/WFE/BRE/NX System began to paint the side hardware reefer yellow and the roofs Aluminum. Ends remained Oxide'ish. During this period they also simplified the car stenciling dropping "VENTILATOR."

Bill Welch

Douglas Harding

My understanding is that National Car Company was Fruit Grower’s answer for meat reefers. Wikipedia states: In February, 1928 FGE formed the National Car Company as a subsidiary to service the meat transportation market.

All photos I have of NX cars are leased to meat packers, or marked with meat rails for meat service. A photo of NX 3647 shows a wood sided reefer with metal running board (long rectangle pattern), and a lighter colored roof (BW photo). The car is lettered to be returned to CBQ at Galesburg and was weighed at PLT, ie Plattsmouth. Morrel, Kahns, & Rath used NX reefers.

Protocraft’s website offers this.

The National Car Company was established in 1930 as a leasing subsidiary of the FGE. By 1940, NX had more than 1,600 reefers on its roster with many other

reporting marks for their leased cars such as Oscar Mayer (OMX), Kingan & CO. (KRLX), E. Kahn (EKSX), Superior Packing (SPCX) and others. National operated

into the 1960’s. Cars with the NX reporting marks were leased to the other company’s and railroads with signs on the side directing it’s return to the lessee.

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=859&Categoryid=21

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=1050&Categoryid=21

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks Bill,

There’s no VENTILATOR on the sides for the car.

The hardware is picked out in black.

What are your thoughts about the color of the roof walk, which evidently by rule should be a metal walk.?

Schuyler