Topics

Some day those on-the-shelf factory painted kits will be sought after

Andy Carlson

Hi Folks-
We have seen a history of over production of factory painted kits which were made in quantities that the increasing movement of modelers to RTR saw kits to be over produced. These gluts lead to huge discounting; remember P2K Mather stock car kits going for only $5?

I can see that the current escalation of of retail pricing, even on reissued RTR cars from tooling made decades ago, will garner interest in finding these older bargain kits. I especially see new interest in Branchline 40' and 50' box cars, but Red Caboose and Intermountain cars should reach similar interests.

With an increasingly collective knowledgeable data base, these cheap kits offer an opportunity to do corrections that many modern RTR freight cars suffer from. Many new box cars arrive with obviously incorrect components applied from the factory. The interest in the correct components used on whole classes of box cars buoyed from those great lists made by Ed Hawkins (Who ranks up as high as Evergreen Styrene strips as to adding immensely to the importance of fine modeling). Instead of retro fitting correct components to a factory built car, the savvy modeler can incorporate them in the kit building process. The win/win aspect of this is great accurate models done at lower than market price for today's issued freight cars. An additional win is offered from the joy of kit building.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Ken Adams

Lets hear it for the Plastic Kits and remember the advice to Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate".....
--
Ken Adams

Tony Thompson

Ken Adams wrote:

Lets hear it for the Plastic Kits and remember the advice to Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate"…..

     The movie, of course, was somewhat prior to there being millions of tons of plastic trash in the ocean.

Tony Thompson

benjamin

Tony, I think he meant invest in plastic, not turn it to trash!

Ken Adams

I always interpreted the movie line to mean get a job in the plastics industry...If I remember correctly Dustin Hoffman was literally underwater when it was delivered at a party thrown by his parents to celebrate his college graduation. Of course that's where he meets Ann Bancroft's character, the infamous Mrs. Robinson and....

I have always used this comment line as bit of humor to puncture the reverence given resin kits in this and several other forums,  but Tony's comment is reality. Though insignificant in terms of the worlds volume of plastic output and less likely to pollute the oceans and beaches, there is a tinge of ethical guilt in our modeling using both materials which come from carbon based sources. Could we revert to other less problematic materials these days. We should probably not think to deeply about this or it might force us to give up physical modeling entirely and move to pure virtual models (dusting off the electronic train simulators populated by CAD images?) where we will have to satisfy our imaginary railroad worlds solely with agitated electrons.
--
Ken Adams

Tony Thompson

Tony, I think he meant invest in plastic, not turn it to trash!

     Well, he just meant "get into the plastics industry," which of course hopes not to ever have to face up to the trash problem.

Tony Thompson

Rob & Bev Manley

Andy,
Another important addition to these RTR cars can be metal grabs or Kadee grabs, new running boards, ladders and stirrups from Yarmouth.

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"