Some Thoughts On Resin Kit Stashes


WILLIAM PARDIE
 

The recent posts on the sale of resin kits has prompted a few random.thoughts.  I fondly remember the Feeding Frenzy that occurred when Martin opened the doors to his sales room at the Naperville meets.  Scores of modelers exiting with stacks of kits under each arm.  Martin never had a cash register yet the crowd passed through faster than an express line at a super market.  One could not help but wonder how many if these kits would actually be built.  We are kind of finding out now.  I know many "modelers" whose pride is how many kits they have on their shelves.

More to the point these recent sales has bought to light what a monumental endevour  Martin engaged in in producing the kits.  Has anyone ever counted the number of different kits that Martin produced over the years?  There are some great kits being produced today but nobody approaches the sheer volume that Sunshine offered.

Thank you Martin and Patricia for the mega contribution to the hobby.

Bill Pardie




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


O Fenton Wells
 

Amen to that Bill
Fenton

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:
The recent posts on the sale of resin kits has prompted a few random.thoughts.  I fondly remember the Feeding Frenzy that occurred when Martin opened the doors to his sales room at the Naperville meets.  Scores of modelers exiting with stacks of kits under each arm.  Martin never had a cash register yet the crowd passed through faster than an express line at a super market.  One could not help but wonder how many if these kits would actually be built.  We are kind of finding out now.  I know many "modelers" whose pride is how many kits they have on their shelves.

More to the point these recent sales has bought to light what a monumental endevour  Martin engaged in in producing the kits.  Has anyone ever counted the number of different kits that Martin produced over the years?  There are some great kits being produced today but nobody approaches the sheer volume that Sunshine offered.

Thank you Martin and Patricia for the mega contribution to the hobby.

Bill Pardie




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


Charlie Duckworth
 

Bill
This PP by Steve Hile says Martin did 100 base kits and 1,250 variations. 

Charlie 

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 2:26 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401_at_gmail.com_Worth51@...> wrote:
Amen to that BillFenton On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM WILLIAM PARDIE wrote: The recent posts on the sale of resin kits has prompted a few random.thoughts. I fondly remembe
Amen to that Bill
Fenton

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:
The recent posts on the sale of resin kits has prompted a few random.thoughts.  I fondly remember the Feeding Frenzy that occurred when Martin opened the doors to his sales room at the Naperville meets.  Scores of modelers exiting with stacks of kits under each arm.  Martin never had a cash register yet the crowd passed through faster than an express line at a super market.  One could not help but wonder how many if these kits would actually be built.  We are kind of finding out now.  I know many "modelers" whose pride is how many kits they have on their shelves.

More to the point these recent sales has bought to light what a monumental endevour  Martin engaged in in producing the kits.  Has anyone ever counted the number of different kits that Martin produced over the years?  There are some great kits being produced today but nobody approaches the sheer volume that Sunshine offered.

Thank you Martin and Patricia for the mega contribution to the hobby.

Bill Pardie




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone



--

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Matt Smith
 

Bill,

As a newcomer to prototype modeling/resin, I appreciate that many people bought kits they "might" be interested in. This helped ensure the viability of these projects and spurred Martin to keep producing. As I've come to appreciate many folks are willing to sell/trade kits that no longer suit their interests. Kudos to Frank, Andrew, Ted, Pierre, Ryan, Greg and all their minions/friends that continue make it possible.
--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL


Paul Doggett
 

We definitely owe Martin an awful lot for what he did for our hobby.
Paul Doggett.     England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 


On 15 Jul 2022, at 20:34, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:


Bill
This PP by Steve Hile says Martin did 100 base kits and 1,250 variations. 

Charlie 

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 2:26 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401_at_gmail.com_Worth51@...> wrote:
Amen to that BillFenton On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM WILLIAM PARDIE wrote: The recent posts on the sale of resin kits has prompted a few random.thoughts. I fondly remembe
Amen to that Bill
Fenton

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:
The recent posts on the sale of resin kits has prompted a few random.thoughts.  I fondly remember the Feeding Frenzy that occurred when Martin opened the doors to his sales room at the Naperville meets.  Scores of modelers exiting with stacks of kits under each arm.  Martin never had a cash register yet the crowd passed through faster than an express line at a super market.  One could not help but wonder how many if these kits would actually be built.  We are kind of finding out now.  I know many "modelers" whose pride is how many kits they have on their shelves.

More to the point these recent sales has bought to light what a monumental endevour  Martin engaged in in producing the kits.  Has anyone ever counted the number of different kits that Martin produced over the years?  There are some great kits being produced today but nobody approaches the sheer volume that Sunshine offered.

Thank you Martin and Patricia for the mega contribution to the hobby.

Bill Pardie




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone



--

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Pierre Oliver
 

Minions, HA!

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 7/15/22 3:41 p.m., Matt Smith wrote:

Bill,

As a newcomer to prototype modeling/resin, I appreciate that many people bought kits they "might" be interested in. This helped ensure the viability of these projects and spurred Martin to keep producing. As I've come to appreciate many folks are willing to sell/trade kits that no longer suit their interests. Kudos to Frank, Andrew, Ted, Pierre, Ryan, Greg and all their minions/friends that continue make it possible.
--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL


Chuck Cover
 

Thanks Bill, well stated.  Many in this hobby are collectors rather than builders, which is ideal for those who design and sell the resin kits.  If the only kits sold were those which were immediately built, I do not believe that there would have been enough income to sustain the resin kit manufacturers. 

 

So I am grateful for all of those model railroad collectors out there whose passion was collecting kits, brass engines, and other model railroad stuff.  We are now seeing sales of some of this collected equipment which will give all of us an opportunity to find those kits what we have been searching for so we can complete our layouts and freight car rosters.

 

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM


Tim O'Connor
 


Martin was a great manufacturer and marketer and the Naperville RPM was just a stroke of genius!
But Al Westerfield was well established before Martin began Sunshine. Remember Westerfield primarily
did true "steam era" models (and modernized versions) while Sunshine hit the "sweet spot" of the
transition era. And there were other resin vendors too, also before Sunshine. (And today I think the
"sweet spot" has shifted.)

But Martin's huge high quality selection was also a product of Frank Hodina and Charles Slater and other
master model makers, plus resin molding experts like Tom Madden, and many freight car experts.

Really the era 1980 to about 2010 was just a "perfect storm" of information sharing, new resin technology,
digital technologies, cheap airfares (hahaha), China trade, and lots of baby boomers !!

RPM (and Naperville) also "spawned" a whole generation of model companies mostly run by the post-baby
boom generation and the sheer numbers of accurate models we have seen is mind boggling. Many thousands
of models!!

But I don't regret buying excess models. I wanted to support Martin's business because even when it began
I thought -- this won't last! But I knew the models would last. :-)



On 7/15/2022 3:41 PM, Paul Doggett via groups.io wrote:
We definitely owe Martin an awful lot for what he did for our hobby.
Paul Doggett.



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Jared Harper
 

I paid a couple of people to build mine, about 80 cars.

Jared  Harper
Athens, GA


Nelson Moyer
 

Ouch! That’s $12-15k for 80 cars. My roster has 465 cars (not all resin) for $16.4k plus the cost of detail parts, paint, trucks, and couplers not in kits. A small percentage of cars are RTR from Tangent, Rapido, and Exactrail. In retirement, money’s more valuable than time.

 

Nelson Moyer

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jared Harper
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 2:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Some Thoughts On Resin Kit Stashes

 

I paid a couple of people to build mine, about 80 cars.

Jared  Harper
Athens, GA

 


Chris Barkan
 

Thanks Charlie for posting Steve Hile's 2018 presentation "Resin Freight Car Kits, Past, Present and Future" from the 2018 Chicagoland RPM.  I had not seen that previously. It is interesting and useful for understanding how we got where we are today.  There were a number of conversations at the NERPM meet last month in Springfield, MA about how 3D printing opens up whole new vistas for the hobby so it is interesting to me that that topic is shown on the last slide of Steve's presentation under "Issues".  Can anyone comment on what the down side of 3D printing is vis-a-vis prototype model kit production?  That technology would seem to add a tool to our collective toolbox by offering a means of generating masters for certain resin casting components and replacing others.

Chris

Charlie Duckworth Jul 15   #193969
Bill
This PP by Steve Hile says Martin did 100 base kits and 1,250 variations. 
https://www.rpmconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018-1019-Steve-Hile-FOTFC-Panel-Presentation.pdf
Charlie 
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA


WILLIAM PARDIE
 

WAS THE gars (Rock Island) refer kit in the presentation ever done?

Bill Pardie

On Jul 16, 2022, at 10:53 AM, Chris Barkan <cplbarkan@...> wrote:

Thanks Charlie for posting Steve Hile's 2018 presentation "Resin Freight Car Kits, Past, Present and Future" from the 2018 Chicagoland RPM.  I had not seen that previously. It is interesting and useful for understanding how we got where we are today.  There were a number of conversations at the NERPM meet last month in Springfield, MA about how 3D printing opens up whole new vistas for the hobby so it is interesting to me that that topic is shown on the last slide of Steve's presentation under "Issues".  Can anyone comment on what the down side of 3D printing is vis-a-vis prototype model kit production?  That technology would seem to add a tool to our collective toolbox by offering a means of generating masters for certain resin casting components and replacing others.

Chris

Charlie Duckworth Jul 15   #193969
Bill
This PP by Steve Hile says Martin did 100 base kits and 1,250 variations. 
Charlie 
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA


ed_mines
 

The owner of hobbies for men in Beacon, NY told me 99% of "craftsman" model railroad car kits are never completed. I guess the more expensive a kit the less likely it was to be attempted.


Steve and Barb Hile
 

Sadly no.

Steve Hile

-----Original Message-----
From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Jul 16, 2022 5:15 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Some Thoughts On Resin Kit Stashes

 

WAS THE gars (Rock Island) refer kit in the presentation ever done?
 
Bill Pardie

On Jul 16, 2022, at 10:53 AM, Chris Barkan <cplbarkan@...> wrote:
Thanks Charlie for posting Steve Hile's 2018 presentation "Resin Freight Car Kits, Past, Present and Future" from the 2018 Chicagoland RPM.  I had not seen that previously. It is interesting and useful for understanding how we got where we are today.  There were a number of conversations at the NERPM meet last month in Springfield, MA about how 3D printing opens up whole new vistas for the hobby so it is interesting to me that that topic is shown on the last slide of Steve's presentation under "Issues".  Can anyone comment on what the down side of 3D printing is vis-a-vis prototype model kit production?  That technology would seem to add a tool to our collective toolbox by offering a means of generating masters for certain resin casting components and replacing others.

Chris

Charlie Duckworth Jul 15   #193969
Bill
This PP by Steve Hile says Martin did 100 base kits and 1,250 variations. 
Charlie 
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA

 


Charlie Duckworth
 

It’s not just the model RR crowd am sure it’s true across the model airplane, ships and armor as well.  I’m on a model armor web site and about once a month a member posts a group of kits for sale.  You  have to, some model RRers changing to larger gauges due to eye sight and dexterity issues.   
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.


Bruce Smith
 

Ed,
In science, this is what is called "anecdotal evidence". Given that I'm pretty sure that the owner of this shop never actually surveyed his customers in a scientific manner, it is clear that this report must be regarded with deep skepticism. Anecdotes do not equal data. 😉 Sadly, some people believe that this sort of thing actually constitutes "truth". It does not. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 4:48 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Some Thoughts On Resin Kit Stashes
 
CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.

The owner of hobbies for men in Beacon, NY told me 99% of "craftsman" model railroad car kits are never completed. I guess the more expensive a kit the less likely it was to be attempted.


Tony Thompson
 




On Jul 16, 2022, at 6:51 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:


Ed,
In science, this is what is called "anecdotal evidence". Given that I'm pretty sure that the owner of this shop never actually surveyed his customers in a scientific manner, it is clear that this report must be regarded with deep skepticism. Anecdotes do not equal data. 😉 Sadly, some people believe that this sort of thing actually constitutes "truth". It does not. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 4:48 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Some Thoughts On Resin Kit Stashes
 
CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.

The owner of hobbies for men in Beacon, NY told me 99% of "craftsman" model railroad car kits are never completed. I guess the more expensive a kit the less likely it was to be attempted.


Tony Thompson
 




On Jul 16, 2022, at 6:51 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:


Ed,
In science, this is what is called "anecdotal evidence". Given that I'm pretty sure that the owner of this shop never actually surveyed his customers in a scientific manner, it is clear that this report must be regarded with deep skepticism. Anecdotes do not equal data. 😉 Sadly, some people believe that this sort of thing actually constitutes "truth". It does not. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 4:48 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Some Thoughts On Resin Kit Stashes
 
CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.

The owner of hobbies for men in Beacon, NY told me 99% of "craftsman" model railroad car kits are never completed. I guess the more expensive a kit the less likely it was to be attempted.


Tim O'Connor
 

Nelson

You say $150 to $187.50 average ?? Hmm. Maybe I should take people up in this custom
model building thing... I agree -- I have plenty of models and time, and not enough money! :-D

Tim O'Connor


On 7/16/2022 4:15 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

Ouch! That’s $12-15k for 80 cars. My roster has 465 cars (not all resin) for $16.4k plus the cost of detail parts, paint, trucks, and couplers not in kits. A small percentage of cars are RTR from Tangent, Rapido, and Exactrail. In retirement, money’s more valuable than time.

 

Nelson Moyer



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Tim O'Connor
 

Ed

LOL :-D  Remember that 96.7% of all hobby shop owners make up statistics on the spot!

Tim O'Connor


On 7/16/2022 5:48 PM, ed_mines via groups.io wrote:

The owner of hobbies for men in Beacon, NY told me 99% of "craftsman" model railroad car kits are never completed. I guess the more expensive a kit the less likely it was to be attempted.



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts