Soo Line #44500-45098 Series Boxcar #44500-45098

Bob Chapman

We'll call this one "Weathering Gone Wild". I usually prefer to understate weathering, but this undec Accurail was a convention door prize, and other than a few detail modifications, served as a test bed for some extreme weathering. In the old days, I can remember most passing trains having at least one of these paint derelicts.

The car models the Soo Line #44500-45098 series (even numbers only). Decals are K4.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Paul Doggett

Bob

That’s looking really good.

Paul Doggett      England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 29 Apr 2021, at 17:17, Bob Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

We'll call this one "Weathering Gone Wild". I usually prefer to understate weathering, but this undec Accurail was a convention door prize, and other than a few detail modifications, served as a test bed for some extreme weathering. In the old days, I can remember most passing trains having at least one of these paint derelicts.

The car models the Soo Line #44500-45098 series (even numbers only). Decals are K4.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Attachments:

Schuyler Larrabee

Bob,

I wouldn’t even say that weathering is extreme.  Looks like a lot of cars I’ve seen and it’s very well done!

Do I detect some Greg Martin style shading on the panels?  And I think the trucks look superb!

Schuyler

We'll call this one "Weathering Gone Wild". I usually prefer to understate weathering, but this undec Accurail was a convention door prize, and other than a few detail modifications, served as a test bed for some extreme weathering. In the old days, I can remember most passing trains having at least one of these paint derelicts.

The car models the Soo Line #44500-45098 series (even numbers only). Decals are K4.

Regards,

Bob Chapman

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 09:16 AM, Bob Chapman wrote:
The car models the Soo Line #44500-45098 series (even numbers only). Decals are K4.
The weathering job looks great, very believable. Too bad K4 doesn't include lettering diagrams; the Soo applied the "$" herald with the sides vertical; it was supposed to be a perspective view of a hanging banner, and was originally rendered complete with the string it was hung with. Aside from that, these cars were built in 1949 and '50, and these particular cars never had black backgrounds in the herald, but did have black ends.

Dennis Storzek