Topics

Soo Line Wood Boxcars #100-444 / Accurail 7000 Series Kitbash #100-444

Sean Murphy

Hi everyone,

I am looking for photos of Soo Line boxcars #100-444 which were rebuilds in 1950 that resemble the Accurail 7000 series wood boxcar. I am looking at doing a kitbash in HO to get it close to the real thing. Drawings, dimensions, and info would also help, too. I'm no Soo expert.

Andy Cich

The SOO Line Historical Society published a freight car book. It has a photo of 374 and WC 1584. WC 1500-1652, evens only, were “created” at the same time as the Soo 100-444.

The text says the rebuilds included AAR center sills, channel side sills, diagonal panel roofs, and power and brakes.

ORER data indicates these cars had 40’0” IL and 8’0” IH.

Andy Cich

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sean Murphy
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 12:37 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Soo Line Wood Boxcars #100-444 / Accurail 7000 Series Kitbash

Hi everyone,

I am looking for photos of Soo Line boxcars #100-444 which were rebuilds in 1950 that resemble the Accurail 7000 series wood boxcar. I am looking at doing a kitbash in HO to get it close to the real thing. Drawings, dimensions, and info would also help, too. I'm no Soo expert.

Sean Murphy

Thanks Andy,

Any chance you have the book? I don't and was wondering if I could get an image posted or scanned from the source. The WC cars were nearly identical from my understanding.

thomas christensen

Sean,
 The Soo magazine from the SLHTS, Winter 2014 Volume 36 Number 1 has an article  on kitbashing these cars.
Tom Christensen

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 1:36 PM, Sean Murphy
<sean.p.murphy.design@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am looking for photos of Soo Line boxcars #100-444 which were rebuilds in 1950 that resemble the Accurail 7000 series wood boxcar. I am looking at doing a kitbash in HO to get it close to the real thing. Drawings, dimensions, and info would also help, too._._,_._,_

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 03:02 PM, Sean Murphy wrote:
The WC cars were nearly identical from my understanding.
The WC cars, 1500-1652 (even) were identical. All 250 cars were done as one batch during the winter of 1950-1951, and then proportionally assigned to the two corporate entities. While these look like simple upgrades of older cars, the rebuilding was quite extensive as not only the centersills were replaced, but also the side sills, and the posts re-spaced to increase the door opening from 5 to 6 feet. Company records don't show any one to one correlation with older car numbers; I believe these were essentially new cars built of salvaged material. These are some of the few Soo single sheathed cars that were equipped with brake steps and high power hand brakes. Here is a link to a photo on the Fallen Flags web site, note the tiny W.C. at the upper left hand corner of the side that denotes WC ownership.

SOO 1584

Dennis Storzek

golden1014

Monon had a car series that was almost an exact matcto these WC cars.  The Monon cars had a slighlty different end (the end braces being in a slightly different position) but everything else is practically the same.  Earlier cars had a flexible metal roof.  It would be interesting to compare the, side-ny-side.

John Golden
Ramstein AB, Germany

Dennis Storzek

Well, it's taken a couple days to find the article I knew was written on modeling these cars, and now the OP seems to have disappeared, but might as well get the info out there...

These are interesting cars, being rebuilt with wood sheathing so late, especially since the Soo Line had invested in quite a bit of modern shop equipment after WWII, and had essentially set up a carbuilding facility at the shop at North Fond du Lac, Wis. In 1948 they built a group of all weld GS gons that were written up in Railway Mechanical Engineer. In 1949 that started a program to build 40' boxcars to the 1948 AAR design. The carbodies were not welded, but the underframes were. That's why the wood cars are so odd. As I understand it, they got caught short when the Korean War started and couldn't source all the material they needed to keep the AAR boxcar program rolling, so they decided to use what they had on hand to keep the carbuilding program up and running. Later in 1951 they went back to building more AAR design steel cars.

Several years ago Accurail did a run of custom cars for the Soo Line Historical & Technical Society. These were understood by all parties involved to be "stand ins" as there is really no mass produced car any closer to the rather unique "sawtooth" cars that made up the bulk of the Soo Line boxcar fleet between the wars. However, the society's special projects manager, Ken Soroos, decided to modify one of the cars to more accurately model these 1950 rebuilds. The article was published in the Winter 2014 issue of The SOO, the society magazine. Back issues are available HERE
The article includes three prototype photos, all different than the one I posted a link to yesterday.

Briefly, Ken lowered the body by sawing off the entire top of the Accurail kit, substituted a diagonal panel roof, added a Kadee Apex running board and Detail Associates Equipco high power hand brake, and substituted straight sills for the fishbelly sills in the kit. The main lettering on the side of the car is printed in the correct relationship to the bottom of the body, and was able to be saved. I now wish we would have printed the end reporting marks lower on the body.

Anyway, the article is rather simplistic in deference to the general level of modeling skill in the society membership, but builds a solid model, and is certainly worth having for the photos and reproduced equipment diagram.

Dennis Storzek

Sean Murphy

Dennis and others,

Thanks for the information, I think I have enough information so far to start the build. Is their a good decal source for these cars? I am surprised by the lack of pre-1950 Soo decals out there.

Dennis Storzek

Sean,

You can try Ken Soroos at projects@... , the society used to print a whole bunch of decals, but with no cars to put them on, why bother. They may still have some sets left. 

These should also work: http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/d155-soo-line-75800-series-1937-aar-auto-car-decals/
They are intended for the Red Caboose 1937 AAR car, but the road name, numerals, and heralds should be the same. Ignore the black background for the herald; the Soo did away with it after the war. You'll need to find data elsewhere.

Dennis Storzek

Lester Breuer

Sean,

I have done the car in resin, photo attached, making masters or using parts for masters from two other kits for masters.  I plant to write it up as my next blog post.  The decals did come the the Soo Line Historical Society via Ken Soroos.

I wish you success with your kitbash.

Lester Breuer

Paul Doggett

Lester

That’s a really nice looking build.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

O Fenton Wells

Excellent Lester, very clean looking
Fenton

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 9:09 AM Paul Doggett via Groups.Io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Lester

That’s a really nice looking build.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Sean Murphy

Dennis,
Thanks for the recommendation although Ken Soroos' email didn't come through.

Lester,
I just started following your blog and I really like your techniques for turning cheap cars into excellent models, The resin car looks great! I look forward to your post on it!

Why no major manufacturer has produced this signature car is beyond me. The resin cars are too expensive and rare and I would bet that there is a demand for them. Being a GN modeler, I am spoiled for choice when it comes to prototypical cars available. Modeling smaller midwest roads is certainly not easy.

John,

Sorry for the late reply on your message.  I think you might mean a different SOO series, since the only howe truss cars on the Monon were 36 footers.  The pilot model for 1100 series Accurail showed in Monon paint would be close, but as others have said you would need to substitute the fishbelly underframe from their double sheathed cars; something I will do to get those 'Stores Dept' cars I need.  Which raises the question: how many 36 foot single sheathed cars had a fishbelly underframe?

Best Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 07:32 AM, Michael Aufderheide wrote:
Which raises the question: how many 36 foot single sheathed cars had a fishbelly underframe?
From our research on the 'American' Fowler cars, exactly one... the Monon.

Dennis Storzek