From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
Sent: Sunday, April 5, 2020 4:49 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Southern FD 349012

Friends,

This morning while I was scanning up some Southern locomotives, I remembered this flat car which I shot in Charlottesville, Virginia sometime in the late 1980s. Probably because it was unusual, I took a series of photos, including a deck shot from the bridge you can see in the low level views.

The 15 cars in series 349000-349014 were built by Thrall in 1956, so they just make it into our period of interest. I present them for your enjoyment, approval, and possible use in modeling (nice weathering on the deck!). If anyone has need, I can post the ORER dimensions and note VV from my 1958 ORER.

Me? I have no use for heavy duty flatcars on my layout, an obscure fictional Southern-controlled subsidiary which has no customers that would need such a car.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

Todd Horton

The bodies were cast by GSC. The C of G had 20 similar cars built for the General Electric plant in Rome Ga. These were probably built for the same customer as they both had access to the plant.     Todd Horton

On Apr 5, 2020, at 7:51 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

[...]

<SOUTHERN FLAT CAR 349012-HD4C.jpg>
<SOUTHERN FLAT CAR 349012-HD3C.jpg>
<SOUTHERN FLAT CAR 349012-HD1C.jpg>