From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <chiefbobbb@...>
Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 12:38 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: ATSF Boxcar 140177 Bx-34 (1940)

Photo: ATSF Boxcar 140177 Bx-34 (1940)

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/55040/rec/49

Click on the arrows in the upper right hand corner of the photo to enlarge it and scroll to enlarge it further.

Notice the curved-line map. Later that year boxcars generally started to receive the straight-line map. This change occurred in April 1940 for newly built Bx-34 boxcars.

The opposite side of this car had the Scout passenger train advertisement.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

BILL PARDIE wrote:

I came across an article in a recent RMC where the modeler reduced the height of three C&BT cars to model the B-50-25.  He did a variety of running boards and brake wheels on his9 models.Way back  Richard Hendrickson did an article in Prototype Modeler in which he reduced the height of a plastic boxcar to do this car.  Would reducing the C&BT model produce a more accurate model?

      Richard inspired me to do the same C&BT conversion, and it worked well. As with all conversions of those car bodies, ALL. and I mean ALL, detail parts are launched into the bin before starting any other work. Includes trucks and wheel sets. Then you have a decent car body to cut down, easy project.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Intermountain's roof is not the best, and there were possibly underframe differences, and the SP cars had
doors you must obtain from Southwest Scale Productions - But other than that I know of no reason why you
cannot easily model a B-50-25 starting with the 12 panel body with 6 foot doors. You want the 3/4 end with
no narrow top rib. The B-50-27 had the same style ends as the GN (and SP&S) cars.

On 12/14/2020 10:16 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:
In the recent discussion on the Great Northern 12 panel boxcar a reference was made to the SP B-50-25 car.  The kit was offered by both Speedwitch and Andy Carlson.  The Speedwitch instructions noted that the kit would produce a close facsimile
as it used the body from the Intermountain GN car.
Does anyone know what the discrepancy is?

I came across an article in a recent RMC where the modeler reduced the height of three C&BT cars to model the B-50-25.  He did a variety of running boards and brake wheels on his9 models.Way back  Richard Hendrickson did an article in Prototype Modeler in which he reduced the height of a plastic boxcar to do this car.  Would reducing the C&BT model produce a more accurate model?

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts