Topics

Southern Railroad drop bottom gondola question

Brad Andonian

Gentlemen,

I just acquired an O scale Southern six door drop bottom steel gondola from PSC.   Might anyone have any info on these cars ie build date correct paint color [red or black] etc.    The box states they were built by Enterprise Railway Equipment....

With thanks in advance,
Brad Andonian

Tony Thompson

Brad Andonian wrote:

I just acquired an O scale Southern six door drop bottom steel gondola from PSC.   Might anyone have any info on these cars ie build date correct paint color [red or black] etc.    The box states they were built by Enterprise Railway Equipment….

     Like all these cars, they were DESIGNED by Enterprise, but built by the buyer's choice of builder. Enterprise did not build cars, but patented their designs and had demonstrator cars built for sales purposes. They provided blueprints to the builders.

Tony Thompson

Bill Welch

Southern open top cars were Black.

Bill Welch

George Eichelberger

Brad:

The Southern was a big fan of “double drop bottom” (DDB) gons. In pre steel hopper days, they were referred to a “coal cars”. Here is a much cropped and resolution reduced part of Southern drawing SF-1098. If if corresponds to your model, all of the car’s spec and drawings are in the SRHA archives at TVRM.

(There is a work session this Friday and Saturday.)

Ike

bigfourroad

Herewith the Enterprise Products advertising page from the Newton K Gregg reprints of the 1943 Car Builders Cyclopedia showing what I presume is your car.
I can tell you with some certainty it is black because the half tone images of other cars known to be red are gray to the eye.
Much later in the 1960's Southern adopted new paint schemes with oxide reds - I am not expert in which cars were repainted -- if interested you could contact the Southern Railway Historical Association here: www.srha.net/
Hope this helps.
C Rooney

Tim O'Connor

yep - until they weren't any more. kinda depends on WHEN. In 1957=1958 a large
number of oxide red hoppers were delivered.

https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/SOU-281526-1000.jpg

On 11/9/2019 5:15 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
Southern open top cars were Black.

Bill Welch

Sterling, Massachusetts

George Eichelberger

Black was the standard body color for open top cars until the standard was changed to Southern freight car brown in 1959/60. Black cars would have all be stenciled with Roman style lettering until that was changed slightly later, but still about 1960.

The new Tangent hopper correctly shows Roman lettering on a red car as was done until the color change caught up with the lettering. For a bit of trivia, the first ”Big John” covered hoppers were stenciled with Roman lettering. Most of the cars sat in storage while the 100-ton rate case was going through the courts. When Southern won the (SCOTUS) case and the cars were placed in service, their serif style lettering was changed to the new block style.

Ike