Topics

Southern railway flat cars

Paul Doggett

Hi

When did the Southern Railway change their flat car colour from black to red ?

Many thanks

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Jim King

Most likely late 1957 when there was a systemwide change in fonts and colors.  That’s when heralds were removed, the Roman font changed to an early version of Gothic/Block, the green/imitation Aluminum scheme on engines was changed to “Tuxedo” and open top cars, including flats, went from black to freight car red/brown (which varied over the years).  Black-painted gons were still running around in the early 70s.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

hubert mask

For a matter of information I sell all three paint scheme decals. In black, Roman, and 70s. Maskislanddecals.com.

Thank you.
Hubert mask

On Jan 14, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi

When did the Southern Railway change their flat car colour from black to red ?

Many thanks

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

George Courtney

A modeler in your area named Don McDougall might know.  But Jim King is a Southern expert.

George Courtney

Tim O'Connor

I think this happened in the mid 1950s. First came red cars with Roman lettering, and then
soon after (late 50s) Southern adopted the block lettering style.

On 1/14/2021 1:02 PM, Paul Doggett via groups.io wrote:
Hi

When did the Southern Railway change their flat car colour from black to red ?

Many thanks

Paul Doggett

Sterling, Massachusetts

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Paul,

We discussed this question a couple of years ago, so it should be in the archives. Sadly, I had this discussion archives, but it somehow got blown off my computer.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 1:52 PM Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi

When did the Southern Railway change their flat car colour from black to red ?

Many thanks

Paul Doggett    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Dave Parker

Garth, you don't need any archives on your computer.  The Messages files at groups.io go back to 12/11/2000 (!).

Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Allen Cain

I found this note posted by Robert Burns back in 2007:

"1954 was the year SR "officially" changed the color of hoppers, flats, gondolas, etc. from black to "freight car brown/red", but it took several years to get everything painted, so black cars ran up into the 60's.

1959 was the year the lettering changed from Roman to the Gothic/Block, but again, it didn’t happen overnight."

Cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Allen Cain

Paul Doggett

Allen

Thank you I model 1950-3 so that sounds good to me.

Paul Doggett

On 15 Jan 2021, at 04:12, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

I found this note posted by Robert Burns back in 2007:

"1954 was the year SR "officially" changed the color of hoppers, flats, gondolas, etc. from black to "freight car brown/red", but it took several years to get everything painted, so black cars ran up into the 60's.

1959 was the year the lettering changed from Roman to the Gothic/Block, but again, it didn’t happen overnight."

Cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Allen Cain

Paul Doggett

To All

Thank you very much

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 15 Jan 2021, at 00:22, Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...> wrote:

Garth, you don't need any archives on your computer.  The Messages files at groups.io go back to 12/11/2000 (!).

Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Paul Doggett

Jim

Thank you.

Paul Doggett

On 14 Jan 2021, at 21:42, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Most likely late 1957 when there was a systemwide change in fonts and colors.  That’s when heralds were removed, the Roman font changed to an early version of Gothic/Block, the green/imitation Aluminum scheme on engines was changed to “Tuxedo” and open top cars, including flats, went from black to freight car red/brown (which varied over the years).  Black-painted gons were still running around in the early 70s.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

Paul Doggett

Hubert

I have sent you a message about decals and a kit

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 14 Jan 2021, at 21:44, hubert mask <maskisland@hotmail.com> wrote:

For a matter of information I sell all three paint scheme decals. In black, Roman, and 70s. Maskislanddecals.com.

Thank you.
Hubert mask
On Jan 14, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi

When did the Southern Railway change their flat car colour from black to red ?

Many thanks

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Jim King

The PS 52’ 6” gons I once produced in HO resin were built in 2 lots (1953 and 1957).  Both were delivered in black with Roman lettering.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

Paul Doggett

Cheers Jim

Paul Doggett

On 15 Jan 2021, at 15:40, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

The PS 52’ 6” gons I once produced in HO resin were built in 2 lots (1953 and 1957).  Both were delivered in black with Roman lettering.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

A&Y Dave in MD

The question does not have a precise answer because the change would have had to occur over time.  When did Southern executives decide to change the color?  About 1953-4.  When did the last of Southern flat cars with black disappear off the rails?  Probably not till after the merger with the N&W in 1982 (Kinkead book shows black Southern freight cars in Roman lettering in the 70's). New built cars after 1960 at least are going to be Southern freight car red.  Photos are your best friend.
--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Paul Doggett

Thank you David

Paul

On 16 Jan 2021, at 02:21, A&Y Dave in MD <dbott@...> wrote:

The question does not have a precise answer because the change would have had to occur over time.  When did Southern executives decide to change the color?  About 1953-4.  When did the last of Southern flat cars with black disappear off the rails?  Probably not till after the merger with the N&W in 1982 (Kinkead book shows black Southern freight cars in Roman lettering in the 70's). New built cars after 1960 at least are going to be Southern freight car red.  Photos are your best friend.
--
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

George Eichelberger

What “official” reference are you using to refer to a 1953/54 date for the color change on Southern freight equipment? I have looked at thousands of SRS documents and drawings and never (!) seen anything to that effect.

Ike