Subject: [SouthernRailway] Inman Yard in 1946 or 47
Date: February 20, 2021 at 2:20:51 PM EST

The SRHA archives includes many more photos than we can probably ever use in TIES or SRHA books. Here is an undated example that includes a variety of topics.

Although the photo is undated, we know that the Southern box car in the foreground of the photo is one of 1,000 post-war all steel design box cars built by Pullman-Standard and delivered in 1946 or 47 and the (most likely) NW-2 helps date the photo to 1947. No caption came with the image but it may be an Atlanta newspaper photo taken as part of the coverage of the fire in the distance.

The Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha stock car coupled to the (very unusual!) dry ice car is a long way from home. The WFE car at Inman suggests the photo may have been taken during the Florida citrus, vegetable or peach shipping seasons when WFE equipment was moved east. The process reversed when apples were in season and FGE cars went west (there are mentions in the archives of solid trains of empty "reefers" moving back and forth as the seasons changed). The Inman icing platform is still in service and working, another "sign" it is peach or citrus season. With multiple Southern routes and railroads out of Atlanta, Inman was a diversion and re-icing point for northbound perishables.

The brakeman standing on the running board of the second car from the switch engine would be "interesting" during switch moves!

A great photo!

Ike

_._,_._,_

Allen Cain

Ike,

Thanks for sharing the GREAT picture of Inman Yard.

Is there a way to get a higher resolution copy so that I can make out some of the car numbers and details?

Thanks again,

Allen Cain

--
Allen Cain
Modeling the Southern in 1955 in HO Scale

Steve SANDIFER

Note also the unrestrained pole loads.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Here is a “STMFC” era re-post from SouthernRailway.groups.io from the Southern Railway Historical Assoc. archives.

Ike

Date: February 20, 2021 at 2:20:51 PM EST

[...]

gary laakso

That is a good looking dry ice car in the photo and a rare picture.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

Date: February 20, 2021 at 2:20:51 PM EST

[...]

Clark Propst

Sorry if I missed it, but what is that light colored car left center?

Thanks,

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I don’t have the photo handy, but if memory serves, it’s a dry ice car.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Feb 21, 2021, at 8:42 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

Sorry if I missed it, but what is that light colored car left center?

Thanks,

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Daniel A. Mitchell

Yes, it is a typical dry-ice car. There were many minor variations. Common owner names were “Mathieson”, "Pure Carbonic", and “Liquid Carbonic” companies.

Some just looked much like normal refrigerator cars, and a number of HO models of conventional reefers have been painted in “dry Ice” livery. Ambroid-Northeastern and Westerfield offered PRR R7 wooden reefers in the silver “Mathieson" paint scheme. Red Ball had a classic wood and cardboard straight-side Sant Fe dry-ice car, and  Varney (1947) had wood and cardboard straight-sided kit.

However many seem to have had the sloped (angled) upper side panels as seen in the photo being discussed. In HO there was a nice stamped aluminum-foil kit from Laconia-Binkley (1950’s) with the tapered sides as shown in the photo. Precision Scale. and Rail-Head also offered brass HO models.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Feb 21, 2021, at 9:51 AM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

I don’t have the photo handy, but if memory serves, it’s a dry ice car.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Feb 21, 2021, at 8:42 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

Sorry if I missed it, but what is that light colored car left center?

Thanks,
Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

golden1014

That photo came from my collection.  I have it here.  I’ll scan it and send a higher-res version as soon as possible.

John Golden
Ramstein, Germany

golden1014

Hi Ike, and All,

In an earlier message I claimed that this photo came from my collection.  Let me clarify that.  I thought you got it from Ted’s Steam Freight Cars site, where I posted it about 15 years ago or longer. I don’t doubt that it came from the Southern Archives, but I bought it from a dealer at a train show in New Jersey in the mid-90s—hence the misunderstanding.

I have the picture here.  I am currently suffering from two-laptops-busted-at-the-same-time-itis so I can’t send a high-res re-scan.  For the time being I’m sending a snap of the photo—and a few more—and I hope that’ll scratch the itch.  You can get some pretty decent closeups with the iPhone as demonstrated.

Apologies for the glare but some of those pictures are too glossy to photo correctly.  I blame Tim.

I’m including a few more yard photos for fun.  Two are on the Southern Ray in Birmingham, one from Potomac Yard, and one from the Central of Georgia yard in Columbus, Georgia.  Good stuff.

John Golden