Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. Juni 2020 um 17:58 Uhr
Von: "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...>
An: "STMFC" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] SP drop_bottom_gon and an SP flat
Hi List Members,

Zoom in to see an SP drop_bottom_gon and an SP flat with lumber loads. Road numbers can be made out on these both

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Indeed! A 6 masted ship!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:07 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] SP drop_bottom_gon and an SP flat

Hello Claus,

many thanks for the link - but I have to say that this time the ship is much more interesting than the freight cars...!

Regards

Johannes

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. Juni 2020 um 17:58 Uhr
Von: "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...>
An: "STMFC" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Hi List Members,

Zoom in to see an SP drop_bottom_gon and an SP flat with lumber loads. Road numbers can be made out on these both

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Brian,

In sailor’s parlance, that would be a “schooner” rather than a “ship.”  Interesting just the same.  But, I digress . . .

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. Juni 2020 um 17:58 Uhr
Von: "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...>
An: "STMFC" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Hi List Members,

Zoom in to see an SP drop_bottom_gon and an SP flat with lumber loads. Road numbers can be made out on these both

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

I was going to say schooner but wasn’t positive. Should have gone with my (ample) gut feeling!

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. Juni 2020 um 17:58 Uhr
Von: "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...>
An: "STMFC" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Hi List Members,

Zoom in to see an SP drop_bottom_gon and an SP flat with lumber loads. Road numbers can be made out on these both

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Jon Miller

On 6/3/2020 9:13 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
I was going to say schooner but wasn’t positive. Should have gone with my (ample) gut feeling!

    Just wondering, is that stack (between 1st and 2nd mast) on the schooner or somewhere else?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Daniel A. Mitchell

Hard to tell from just this photo, but some of later sailing ships had some minimal auxiliary power. Also such ships and barges (unpowered), especially steel-hulled ones, often had a steam boiler for running deck (cargo) winches and such.

Dan MItchell
==========

On Jun 4, 2020, at 1:05 AM, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

On 6/3/2020 9:13 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
I was going to say schooner but wasn’t positive. Should have gone with my (ample) gut feeling!

    Just wondering, is that stack (between 1st and 2nd mast) on the schooner or somewhere else?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Jon,

I suspect the stack is on a tug or some other small vessel, most probably a tug as it appears to be very close aboard.  Note that all the standing and running rigging on both sides of the schooner is visible with the smoke from that stack on the far side of the rigging.  The stack is also too far forward for propulsion engines and too large for a galley stack.

Incidentally, lumber was a very common cargo for such vessels.  What isn’t absolutely clear to me is whether the cargo is loaded from or to the rail cars, although my guess is from.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

On 6/3/2020 9:13 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
I was going to say schooner but wasn’t positive. Should have gone with my (ample) gut feeling!

    Just wondering, is that stack (between 1st and 2nd mast) on the schooner or somewhere else?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Todd Sullivan

I believe that the dock with the 6 masted schooner is at SP's lumber wharf on the Willamette River in East Portland, Oregon.  I also think it is more likely that the schooner would be loading lumber for Pacific Ocean ports.  There was a pretty healthy lumber trade using such schooners in the 1890s through perhaps the 1920s.  Also, the SP had 6-8 branch lines on both sides of the Willamette Valley that served many sawmills and lumbering operations.

Todd Sullivan

tmkprr1954

I will point out that the schooner does not have any sails on the booms/gaffs.  It may be that it is being used as a barge (happened a lot in their later years) and the rigging has been retained as cargo handling devices.  Stack could very well be a tugboat alongside, or perhaps boiler for steam winch on the foredeck (left of photo).

Tom Kane
Purcellville, VA

Tim O'Connor

The photo date is certainly wrong - SP 53745 is a G-50-6 gondola built by Haskell & Barker in 1916. So not 1880's.

The flat car is SP 41683.

On 6/3/2020 11:58 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
Hi List Members,

Zoom in to see an SP drop_bottom_gon and an SP flat with lumber loads. Road numbers can be made out on these both

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Sterling, Massachusetts

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

HI Tim,

The date is indicated as “1880/1949”. The image is obviously neither from 1880 nor 1949.  I think the “1880/1949” indicates the span of dates covered by the “Angelus Studio Photographs”, the collection which this image is a part of

Claus Schlund