Topics

SP F-70-7 image

Andy Carlson
 

With a "return to Ogden" stencil and the interesting shipping bracket of some kind, this is a good shot of an SP ACF built F-70-7. Anyone know what assignment this car was used for? Seems to have been at least two of these special cars.
Regards,
-Andy Carlson   Ojai CA

Inline image

Tony Thompson
 

Steel coils.
Tony Thompson 


On Jun 25, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:


With a "return to Ogden" stencil and the interesting shipping bracket of some kind, this is a good shot of an SP ACF built F-70-7. Anyone know what assignment this car was used for? Seems to have been at least two of these special cars.
Regards,
-Andy Carlson   Ojai CA

<SP F-70-7 flat car.jpg>


<SP F-70-7 flat car.jpg>

 

What's to keep steel coils on that car. 
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA


Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Andy,

Those structures on the deck form a V-shaped trough. The weight of the coils was supposed to keep them in place. However, they did shift during transit, causing the cradles to crack. Post-STMFC cars of this type received heavier ends and "wave" pattern side braces, and presumably the earlier cars were rebuilt with heavier cradles.

Tony was too modest to point out that his SOUTHERN PACIFIC FREIGHT CARS V.3 covers these cars. Pages 338-341 have many photos of these cars, including showing the trough from deck level. His photo cutlines tell us that the first block of these cars was converted from F-70-7 flat cars in 1956-1957. On page 322 there is a roster of these cars showing when the four number blocks were converted, which will be useful to a STMFC modeler wanting to add some of these cars, but I will summarize. The largest block were the initial 165 cars in series 595000-595164, with 50 more cars in series 595165-595214 following in 1959. The notes show 595000-595149 were assigned to USS's Columbia works in Utah, with 595150-595164 assigned to Kaiser Steel (Fontana works?). The 1959 cars were all assigned to USS Columbia. The Columbia cars likely showed up at USS steel's re-rolling plant in Pittsburg (no "h"), California, which the Columbia works supplied. This suggests that they would be regularly seen in SP through trains on the Overland Route from late 1956 to the end of our period of interest.

The third block was completed right at the end of our time period in 1960, and the last with the wave bracing in 1963. No assignments are mentioned for these cars.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆


On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:07 PM Andy Jackson <lajrmdlr@...> wrote:
What's to keep steel coils on that car. 
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA


 

Thanks Garth. Probably needed to see a more overhead shot to be able to see the cradle shape. Could coils be loaded the full length of the cradle?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA


Tony Thompson
 

Andy Jackson wrote:

Thanks Garth. Probably needed to see a more overhead shot to be able to see the cradle shape. Could coils be loaded the full length of the cradle?

    Depends on the outside and inside diameter of the coils, and on the width of the strip. But the "standard" coils in use at the time these cars were built were loaded two at each end, total of four coils. I have seen one SP photo with 7 or 8 coils of distinctly smaller diameter.

Tony Thompson