SP Freight Car Color.

Bruce Griffin

Tony, Paul and other SP Modelers,

Modeling the B&O on the east coast means a limited number of SP cars.  Two are getting ready to see service on my layout and are literally primed. I am seeking your input on a decent color match. Not exact, just decent. Attached are photos of recent in-progress builds sprayed with Vallejo Brunt Red 70.814 much thinned for airbrushing. What are your thoughts on adjusting the color? I added a Kadee UP boxcar and a black hopper for color reference.  Thank you for your input.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Paul Doggett

Bruce

I use Trucolor SP freight car red. I think your mix seems quite close. Tony and Tim are probably the best to get the best information off.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 1 May 2021, at 07:42, Bruce Griffin <bdg1210@...> wrote:

Tony, Paul and other SP Modelers,

Modeling the B&O on the east coast means a limited number of SP cars.  Two are getting ready to see service on my layout and are literally primed. I am seeking your input on a decent color match. Not exact, just decent. Attached are photos of recent in-progress builds sprayed with Vallejo Brunt Red 70.814 much thinned for airbrushing. What are your thoughts on adjusting the color? I added a Kadee UP boxcar and a black hopper for color reference.  Thank you for your input.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Attachments:

Chris Barkan

Edited

Attached is a photo of boxcars from five different roads, NH, B&O, ACL, SP and ATSF, lined up on what looks like a team track in Dallas, TX.  I don't know the exact year or photographer but it offers a nice comparison of these roads' various freight car colors in comparison to the SP, and to one another.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Jim Betz

Bruce,Tony,Who Ever,

  That color looks a touch too red for my tastes.  I assume you will be weathering
the cars - correct?  I'm not an "SP modeler" but I know a lot of them and have
seen a lot of their work.  And I definitely have some SP cars in my stores/on my
layout (soon).

All,

  What shipment would result in an SP stock car getting all the way to the B&O.
I would expect that most of them would go as far as Chicago (or anywhere
along the Mississippi) and the stock would be off-loaded for watering and the
car would be sent West and the stock would be loaded into some Eastern
road's cars - if it wasn't slaughtered then and there.  I asking if it would be
common or rare for an SP stock car to make it very far East of the Mississippi?
                                                                                       - Jim

Bill J.

Star brand from PBL.  They have SP red in full strength and faded reds.  Beautiful sheen for decaling.  Airbrushes like a dream with minimal thinning for 16 pound air pressure.

Bill Jolitz

Tony Thompson

Bruce Griffin wrote:

Modeling the B&O on the east coast means a limited number of SP cars.  Two are getting ready to see service on my layout and are literally primed. I am seeking your input on a decent color match. Not exact, just decent. Attached are photos of recent in-progress builds sprayed with Vallejo Brunt Red 70.814 much thinned for airbrushing. What are your thoughts on adjusting the color? I added a Kadee UP boxcar and a black hopper for color reference.  Thank you for your input.

Both Tru-Color and Star Brand make excellent SP paint matches. I have been following the efforts on-line to come up with blends of Vallejo colors for freight cars, but am not aware of a consensus yet. I do use and like Vallejo, but have not tried to paint a freight car with it.

Tony Thompson

Ken Adams

I am not an airbrush user so I can't give you an opinion on using Vallejo Brunt Red 70.814 in an air brush. But as a color, I have found it a very good match to the faded freight car red that would typify an SP house car (box, stock, most reefers were PFE) in the 1945-55 period. To my eye it is a close match to the Star brand SP-UP FCR from PBL. I have my original containers of the PBL and Tru-Color SP paints on hand for checking the match when I was looking for an acrylic replacement for more toxic paints after encountering breathing problems when painting.

When I am painting an SP model either plastic or resin, I usually prime with Tamiya Oxide Red from rattle can. Over the fully dried primer I hand brush the Vallejo Brunt Red 70.814 using a soft square shaped brush.

Works for me as I live in an apartment like town home with no place to set up a paint booth and have proper ventilation. I spray the Tamiya on the veranda/deck timed in the short intervals between gusts of an almost constant 10-15 mph wind these days. The garage is owned by the HOA which doesn't like me setting up for painting.  Such is life.
--
Ken Adams

John Barry

Chris,

Definitely post war. I don't recall precisely the date that ACL started with the conspicuoty markings but I think it was around 1950. The Santa Fe car looks like it is in the post '47 redder shade of Santa Fe Brown. It is a Bx-46 rebuilt from a Bx-9 or 10 1945-46.

Good color comparison for mid fifties modelers.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

On Saturday, May 1, 2021, 09:41:46 AM EDT, Chris Barkan <cplbarkan@...> wrote:

Attached is a photo of boxcars from five different roads, NH, B&O, ACL, SP and ATSF, lined up on what looks like a team track in Dallas, TX.  I don't know the exact year or photographer but it offers a nice comparison of these road's various freight car colors in comparison to the SP, and to one another.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Tim O'Connor

My guess is that the photo date is either 1947 or 1948 - The New Haven PS-1 looks brand
new, and was built in 1947.

NH, B_O, ACL, SP, ATSF boxcars in Dallas showing variation in color-PS.jpg

Stock cars could be leased or simply shared under Car Service Directives when there was a
shortage in one area, and a surplus in another area. When you have a large fleet of stock cars
not earning money in the off season, you might be happy to receive those per diem payments.
I first learned about this when I was in high school reading about the great floods in Kansas City
in the 1950's that put thousands of freight cars out of commission resulting in a CSD directing
eastern roads to send stock cars to the midwest to alleviate the sudden shortage. (The article
was in a contemporary issue of Trains magazine.)

Tim O'Connor

On 5/1/2021 9:53 AM, Jim Betz wrote:
Bruce,Tony,Who Ever,

  That color looks a touch too red for my tastes.  I assume you will be weathering
the cars - correct?  I'm not an "SP modeler" but I know a lot of them and have
seen a lot of their work.  And I definitely have some SP cars in my stores/on my
layout (soon).

All,

  What shipment would result in an SP stock car getting all the way to the B&O.
I would expect that most of them would go as far as Chicago (or anywhere
along the Mississippi) and the stock would be off-loaded for watering and the
car would be sent West and the stock would be loaded into some Eastern
road's cars - if it wasn't slaughtered then and there.  I asking if it would be
common or rare for an SP stock car to make it very far East of the Mississippi?
                                                                                       - Jim

Sterling, Massachusetts