Topics

SP&S Large Reporting Marks—Date of Introduction

Bill Welch

Edited

Wondering if anyone here would know when the SP&S introduced their scheme with the very large SP&S reporting marks. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Andy Carlson

1960, pretty much way to late for many.
-Andy

On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 5:06:51 PM PST, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Wondering if anyone here would know when the SP&S introduced their scheme with the very large SP&S reporting marks. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bill,

According to Ed Austin's article "Boxcars of the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway" in the December 1997 MM, the billboard lettering was introduced shortly AFTER the July 1957 delivery of 50' DD boxcars 14000-14499. Three different versions of the large lettering were to be applied to the 11000, 12000 and 13000 series 40' steel boxcars. When repainting began is not specifically stated in the article, but during the last months of 1957 is ballpark. Apparently a lot of cars never received the billboard lettering, and the three styles were mixed between the groups somewhat at random. So much for good intentions. Go with dated photos!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 8:07 PM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Wondering if anyone here would know when the SP&S introduced their scheme with the very large SP&S reporting marks. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Thank you everyone, scheme too late for me.

Bill Welch

Don DeLay

It seems that the late 1950's was a time of change for many railroads in their paint and lettering schemes.

Tim O'Connor

Actually, the year was 1958 (if not earlier) - but which style was FIRST? The step-slant or the straight?

On 2/27/2020 8:54 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
1960, pretty much way to late for many.
-Andy

On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 5:06:51 PM PST, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Wondering if anyone here would know when the SP&S introduced their scheme with the very large SP&S reporting marks. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Sterling, Massachusetts

Don DeLay

The large lettering with periods after the initials went both diagonal and straight line. The smaller lettering also made it onto some of the 50' cars too (SP&S 14241 50' DD boxcar in June 1967 Jim Parker photo).

Tim O'Connor

The 14000 to 14499 were built in 1957 at St Cloud and did not have the
billboard letters originally. In some cases the name to the right of the
door was repainted with the large letters and the rest of the lettering
include the oval herald was the same. But most of them seemed to keep the
original lettering up to BN.

BRANCHLINE offered this (accurate) HO scale model as kit #1106

Tim O'

On 2/29/2020 1:13 PM, Don DeLay via Groups.Io wrote:
The large lettering with periods after the initials went both diagonal and straight line. The smaller lettering also made it onto some of the 50' cars too (SP&S 14241 50' DD boxcar in June 1967 Jim Parker photo).

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

The Intermountain 10-0 IH 12 panel box car is correct for the SP&S 40 foot car (built 1949)

On 2/29/2020 1:13 PM, Don DeLay via Groups.Io wrote:
The large lettering with periods after the initials went both diagonal and straight line. The smaller lettering also made it onto some of the 50' cars too (SP&S 14241 50' DD boxcar in June 1967 Jim Parker photo).

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Allan Smith

Of all the photos I have been able to download from the internet, I found SP&S 11242 Date V-1-58 Straight SP&S and 11287 Date v-5-58 straight SP&S. These are the earliest photos I have found with the large SP&S, both with the straight SP&S. All the photos I have seen of the slant SP&S are 1960 or later. That doesn't mean there aren't any out there, it means I haven't found any. Hope this helps some..

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Saturday, February 29, 2020, 11:21:47 AM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The Intermountain 10-0 IH 12 panel box car is correct for the SP&S 40 foot car (built 1949)

On 2/29/2020 1:13 PM, Don DeLay via Groups.Io wrote:

The large lettering with periods after the initials went both diagonal and straight line. The smaller lettering also made it onto some of the 50' cars too (SP&S 14241 50' DD boxcar in June 1967 Jim Parker photo).

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Don DeLay

>The 14000 to 14499 were built in 1957 at St Cloud and did not have the billboard letters originally.

Out of the 20-something photos I have of these cars, only one (14241) has the large initials. I believe very few of the  fifty-footers received this lettering compared to the forty-footers since there were more classes of 40' cars.

Don DeLay